Dave Hinz

Default *Putting* water in your DC collection bin?

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 22:02:48 -0700, Mark & Juanita wrote:
On 23 Jul 2004 00:16:19 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

I used to have an old Allis Chalmers tractor that had a glass jar
as part of the air filtering mechanism, maybe was supposed to be
filled with (what?) to catch things going by, but I think the water
would rapidly turn into slightly moist sawdust and a hard cake.

On your tractor, that glass jar was supposed to be filled with ....
air.

Oh good, because that's what I always kept in there.

The use of glass jars as dust traps was a simple, easily replaceable
mechanism for filtering air prior to the engine intake. It may also have
had an adjunct oil-bath air cleaner that used oil to further trap
particles.

It did, indeed, have an oil-bath air cleaner. Nice little old tractor, but
that magneto was a perpetual problem. It has gone to a better place now,
though. (No, really, a friend who collects 'em bought it for parts to
restore another of the same type).

Dave