Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Maynard A. Philbrook Jr. Maynard A. Philbrook Jr. is offline

Default Lionel train question

In article ,
says...
I subsequently found a larger transformer at another yard sale which is able to handle the current required to run the AC motor in he engine, but there is no whistle provision. I've set the train up in the play room temporarily with the larger transformer but it would really be nice if my 4 year old grandson could hear the whistle blow. Is it possible when the whistle is blown that the DC is being placed in series with the AC? Sounds crazy but I never tried that. This

couldn't be very complicated. What am I missing here? Thanks, Lenny

Yes, It's been far too long

you have a normally closed momentary switch across a
DIODE that is in line with your AC doing to the tracks.
Or One could use a knife switch like was done back then!

The motor in the engine should be a universal type, which
means it'll operate on either or. But the whistle is DC only..

I also seem to remember there was a polarity requirement and
different tricks were used operating different DC items on the engine.

Smoke and noise.! Make sure you use appropriate diode and put a
snubber circuit across it, otherwise Mr L could get angry and fully
collapse on you at the wrong time!

Jamie