Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad,sci.electronics.basics
John Larkin John Larkin is offline

Default Injection Locking an Oscillator (was Novel Zeitgeber devive for antique clock)

On Sun, 02 Feb 2014 12:21:25 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Sun, 02 Feb 2014 11:03:44 -0800, John Larkin
wrote:

On Sun, 02 Feb 2014 11:32:09 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Sun, 02 Feb 2014 09:58:52 -0800, John Larkin
wrote:

On Sun, 02 Feb 2014 09:08:17 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

On Sun, 02 Feb 2014 08:07:25 -0800, John Larkin
wrote:

On Sun, 02 Feb 2014 08:49:55 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

PAL fails to realize that injection locking an oscillator requires an
oscillator :-}

You fail to realize that a parametric oscillator is an oscillator.

His post was an attempt to output a subharmonic without the
oscillator. There are better ways to handle such a scenario.

For example, see my boom-box machine (circa 1979)...

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/SubBassEnhancer_BoomBoxProcessor.pdf

BoomBox! Hilarious hairball. Why do something with a few parts, when you can use
hundreds?

Here is an injection-locked OSCILLATOR....

http://www.analog-innovations.com/SED/InjectionLockingAnOscillator.pdf

...Jim Thompson

Trivial and unoriginal. It's more interesting to use the parametric pump as the
gain element.

Of course, PAL, it works so-o-o-o well :-}

...Jim Thompson

The point is that it does work. It makes an f/2 signal using only a diode as the
active element, which was (some time ago) in question here. With a proper
varicap diode and some optimization, it would be more efficient. But it works.
It was sort of an homage to A. F. Boff.

http://www.hpl.hp.com/hpjournal/pdfs...Fs/1960-01.pdf

I used power varactors in the early '60's (tripling) to get to
144-148MHz (2-meter FM ham band) from 48-49.333MHz... to get 5 Watts
output. The transistors of that era weren't quite up to directly
making 144MHz.

Drilled a hole in the middle of the roof of my '61 Renault Dauphine
and mounted a waterproof BNC connector for a quarter-wave whip ;-)

But getting back to subharmonic inject of "oscillators"... I think
you're deluding yourself calling that parametric pumping.

OK, there is clearly an f/2 component in my output. There is none in the V1
source.

Where does the f/2 energy come from? If you can't figure that out, try asking
one of your "young bucks."

See for example, with an ordinary diode and input DC-skewed (as in
your post, but in the proper direction ...

Are you sure your oscillator is sub-locking to the sinewave source? It's a
little hard to tell in that narrow time slice, but it sure looks like they are
drifting in phase. So the "lock" may be an illusion of them being, by design,
close in frequency.

:-} Such ignorance.

...Jim Thompson

Zero content, as usual.

Is it indeed locked? Or does it just look that way in a narrow time slice?

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc
www.highlandtechnology.com jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation