Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Frnak McKenney Frnak McKenney is offline

Default 1kw Laser Cleaning Gun Too Cool For Words

On 2014-02-01, Larry Jaques wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/n83bc5q

ME WANT!

Me, too.

Note that what it is cleaning off is all black -- maximum
absorption of the energy from the laser. I used to test a NdYAG
pulsed laser (near IR -- 1.06 uM IIRC) by blowing printed text off
boxes and labels. It would do nothing to the white areas, but
would blast off the black ink, leaving a slightly roughened area.
And you *needed* protective goggles whenever that beastie was
fired up. Even more so with the cleaning shown, as it cleaned to
a shiny reflective surface. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

The first thing _I_ thought of when I viewed this clip was, "I wish I
could get rid of mildew on shower curtains and tile walls that
easily". I _don't_ think I want to try bleaching my shirt collars
with one. grin!

Anyone have any sense of how much power _that_ would require?

Oh, and is the laser in the video actually scanning, or is that a line
laser? ( Or can one tell? )

Jes' curious.

Frank McKenney
--
My father ... drilled into me from an early age that if someone says
something is impossible, that just means it will take a bit longer