Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Crosland Peter Crosland is offline

Default Installing a woodburner

On 01/02/2014 12:09, puffernutter wrote:
I live in an 1890 Victorian terrace. The dining room has a wood burner with back boiler (and a stainless steel flue) that provides our central heating needs. The front room has an open fireplace with a open gas fire (with those heat resistant blocks) that we haven't used for many years.

I plan to get the gas fire removed by a certified gas engineer.

I have a second wood burner that I should like to install in that fireplace. I have been quoted over £800 to have a flue installed.

I can fit a plate (with a hole for the fire flue) to seal off the brick flue and I can perform a smoke test. Assuming the smoke test is OK, do I have to fit a liner, or can I just install the wood burner? Do I have to get a HETAS engineer involved, if not, do Building Control have to be informed?

Very simply, what do I HAVE to do to meet any building regulations, laws etc.?

You don't have to but you need to consider the possible consequences if
you don't. These include, in no particular order, the fact that it might
invalidate your insurance and make the property impossible to sell in
future until the job is done properly. The safety aspect should be
obvious. Wood burners generate a lot of heat so the correct flue really
is essential. Common sense should tell you that you need to bite the
bullet an get the flue professionally installed.

--
Peter Crosland