Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred fred is offline

Default Installing a woodburner

In article , Huge
writes
On 2014-02-01, fred wrote:
In article , Davey
writes

The Certified Gas Engineer who removes the existing fire should know.
As far as I know myself, having decided not to pay the massive costs
of installing a new flue for my thatched property, the problem is the
high temperatures created in the flue of a wood-burning stove, much
higher than those of a wood fire, and which are more likely to set fire
to roof timbers.

Why would a gas installer know the requirements for a woodburner?

Consider this: You don't install a flue liner, and do install the
burner. The house then catches fire, even if it has nothing to do with
the wood burner (say, a faulty electrical connection). Your insurance
company will instantly check for the flue liner, and certificate, as
soon as it sees the burner, and if it doesn't find them, will invalidate
your cover.

You're talking out of your arse.

Just my opinion.

And exceptionally badly informed.

So you think people should gamble with their largest asset on the basis
of some anonymous ****** (in case of any doubt, that's you) on Usenet,
do you?

Charmed I'm sure hunney.

It's not a gamble to suggest that people treat unsubstantiated claims
about the insurance industry with caution.

Something like, "we're sorry that your house burned down, the fire
service have told us that the likely cause was an unattended chip pan in
the kitchen, but we are unable to pay your claim because we found that a
100W bulb in the bedroom was missing a CE mark" would be obvious
******** but no more or less credible than the poster's assertion on
wiring fires and flues.

You may note that I made no suggestion about the wisdom or otherwise of
installing an appropriate flue. Personally I would view it as foolish
not to install a twinwall insulated flue in the circumstances described
but the purpose of my post was to put on record a warning not to accept
unqualified advice from a gas installer and to dispute inaccurate
remarks about insurance, nothing else.

That done, future readers can draw their own conclusions..

HTH

--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .