Posted to uk.d-i-y
puffernutter[_2_] puffernutter[_2_] is offline

Default Installing a woodburner

I live in an 1890 Victorian terrace. The dining room has a wood burner with back boiler (and a stainless steel flue) that provides our central heating needs. The front room has an open fireplace with a open gas fire (with those heat resistant blocks) that we haven't used for many years.

I plan to get the gas fire removed by a certified gas engineer.

I have a second wood burner that I should like to install in that fireplace.. I have been quoted over £800 to have a flue installed.

I can fit a plate (with a hole for the fire flue) to seal off the brick flue and I can perform a smoke test. Assuming the smoke test is OK, do I have to fit a liner, or can I just install the wood burner? Do I have to get a HETAS engineer involved, if not, do Building Control have to be informed?

Very simply, what do I HAVE to do to meet any building regulations, laws etc.?

Cheers

Peter