Posted to rec.woodworking

Default For those of you in the south that got heavy snow accumulations

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 23:38:57 -0500, wrote:

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 14:51:27 -0500, FrozenNorth
Yep, I have never worried about it in Canada is the 17 years I have been
in this house, never a problem. Those in the deep south do not need to
worry, it will all be melted in a couple days anyway.

What kind of roof do you have that you don't have to worry about ice
dams?

Keep the roof at a constant temperature and you won't get ice dams.
The problem arises then ice melts in the center of the roof and
refreezes at the soffits, where it's cooler. The idea is to ventilate
the roof so that it stays the same temperature across the span, as
over the soffits.