Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New assesments came out

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 18:59:12 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 1/29/2014 4:06 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 15:41:31 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 1/29/2014 3:22 PM,
wrote:
Ah, here we have the sticking point. The government expenditures*are*
voted on by either the people or the representatives. Taxation is
simply the means to balance the sheet. If they vote for the expense,
the tax is guaranteed.

The "sticking point" is government waste and boondoggling.

Again, another subject that we are in violent agreement on. ;-)

Expenditures ALWAYS rise to meet revenue, whether necessary or not. Give
the *******s an opportunity to have more revenue to play with, the
opportunity will be taken, and play with it they will.

The point is that they have to vote on expenditures. You are being
represented. If your neighbors are too stupid to see anything other
than their tax bill once a year, well...

...they are.

I think the point is that the person that lives in the same size house
across the major roadway 100 yards from my house pays double what I do
in property taxes. We both have use to all of the same amenities but My
subdivision is called Grand Meadows, his is called Parkway Estates. Is
it fair that I pay less for those amenities?

As long as you're community is paying its bills using a "value" based
property tax system, yes. OTOH, the property tax, in itself, is a
poor tax, for the reasons I've already given.

With tax based on perceived value there could easily be one heck of a
surplus in revenue and or way under budget.

Yes, but that should take care of itself. Either live within your
means or raise more revenue. As individuals, we have the same
choices.

If the amount needed on an annual basis was simply divided by the number
of property owners the amount collected would be easily determined and
way more accurate. And the government spending would be under heavier
scrutiny. As it is now tax paying property owners focus more on trying
to lower their over appraised property values rather than whether the
government is collecting too much as a whole or not.

How positively regressive of you. ;-)