Posted to rec.woodworking

Default New assesments came out

Well we got our new assesment in.

My house went down by 7%.
My neighbors went down by 14%.
I have no upgrades.
They put in a new kitchen, 2.5 baths were redone, new deck, new patio,
new walkway.

My house is 1000 sq less then theirs. We have a small house, they have 1
more bedroom and much bigger rooms.

Their house is now valued less than ours by 5k. I just got off with the
assessor, and they feel everything is correct.
I have 2 baths really 1.75 baths as one has a shower only.
The last assesment their house was priced 20k higher than ours.. which I
still felt was low due to the 1000sq feet and extra 1/2 bath.. Now with
all the new stuff, how can their house be less than mine.

Talking with the company that did the inspections they feel there is
nothing wrong with the numbers... You have to wonder how these idiots
get their values reversed and say that there is nothing wrong.
It's going to cost me to challenge my assesment.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/27/2014 2:39 PM, woodchucker wrote:
[...]

Welcome to the world of fuzzy home appraisals when your government is
involved.

I used to fight my appraisals pretty much every year with pretty good
success. That was when they used what would naturally be good reasons
to assess the value of your property. You have all valid assumptions of
why your property should be appraised lower than the neighbors.

Several years ago the appraisals started going strictly by what homes in
the area are selling for. Never mind if you home needs repairs, has not
been updated, or is half the size of the house 3 streets over.

I finally gave up fighting it and let a local company handle fighting
the appraisals. This is their area of expertise and I feel I am at
least paying a fair and or reasonable tax for my area. You should
probably be able to locate on in your ares. While you should be able to
do this your self you probably do not know what trend or silly ass
schedule is being used to determine value for any given year. It
changes frequently to stay ahead of those that choose to fight this
themselves.

The company that handles my fights is O'Connor and Associates. Their
fee is "half" of the tax dollars that they save you each year. If they
save you $500 form this years tax, you pay them $250, you are ahead
$250. If they don't lower your tax bill you pay nothing. Typically you
sign up initially and they handle it from year to year unless you cancel
their service.

Your neighbors probably hired a similar company to handles their appraisals.

Posted to rec.woodworking

[...]

BTDT, to my detriment ... even filed suit to no avail.

Many years ago, my next door neighbor's, a Houston City Councilman,
house was valued at $36k less than mine. Same year built, same floor
plan, same structural shape and appearance.

The reality is that with property taxes, you no longer own your home,
you rent, by paying the tax, the privilege of just thinking you do from
the government.

Try not paying and see how long your "ownership" lasts.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/27/2014 4:01 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

`
The assesment was done by a local company hired by the town.
That's useful to know about the service. As I really suck at these
battles. The guy I was talking to (from the company) was talking in
circles saying it's not unreasonable for a house to be valued less than
another in a different neighborhood. I said it's the house next door,
what different neighborhood.. and he kept doing circles.. which leads me
to realize that you can't talk to an asshole.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
[...]

Don't forget to claim your "Home Owner's Exemption"!

Try not paying and see how long your "ownership" lasts.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/27/2014 3:19 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 1/27/2014 4:01 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

I was using 3 streets away as an example. Most of mine are compared to
across the street and next door.

You can talk till you are blue in the face, they are not going to agree
unless you know which buttons to push.

Hire a firm to represent you . There is typically no obligation to pay
unless you benefit.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"woodchucker" wrote:

[...]

Your assessment went down 7%.

Are you unhappy with that reduction?

Sounds like you might be a little jealous of your neighbors apparent
good
fortune with the tax man.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/27/2014 1:19 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 1/27/2014 4:01 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/27/2014 2:39 PM, woodchucker wrote:
Well we got our new assesment in.

`
The assesment was done by a local company hired by the town.
That's useful to know about the service. As I really suck at these
battles. The guy I was talking to (from the company) was talking in
circles saying it's not unreasonable for a house to be valued less than
another in a different neighborhood. I said it's the house next door,
what different neighborhood.. and he kept doing circles.. which leads me
to realize that you can't talk to an asshole.

“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the
difference.” -Mark Twain-
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/27/14, 6:17 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
"woodchucker" wrote:

[...]

Or maybe he just wants a fair assessment done by a competent assessor
and it has nothing to do with "jealousy" at all.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 15:39:06 -0500, woodchucker
wrote:

[...]

The company that has the contract to do assessments for my part of AL
is in Indiana. Probably could even find us on a map.

In the last 6 years my property tax has doubled.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

Sounds like a grievance is in your future.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/28/2014 6:59 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 17:35:49 -0500, Keith Nuttle
wrote:

On 1/27/2014 4:19 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 1/27/2014 4:01 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

I believe that the only significant determinant in the evaluation of a
house in the value of comparables in the area. That means that you are
paying to live in the area not the house.

When you go to sell your house, that's what will determine what it's
worth.

Correct

Since property taxes are based on the "value" of the house,
that makes sense, no?

Those taxes are based on every fixed thing on the lot, including the
lot. Does that make sense? Not really.

Now granted that is the way it is set up but why on earth should you
have to pay $10,000 and you neighbor only have to pay $4000? You both
are being represented the same and use the same amenities.

It would be like the grocery store picking a different sales tax rate
for you than the next guy in line because you own two cars and he only
owns one.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

[...]

do you know why? Because of tax increases or value of property? Has
your neighbors gotten the same treatment?

I do not know why and the county officials just gave me a dumb look
when I asked. I think they use the Indiana outfit so they can refer us
to someone we can't meet face to face.

I have to admit I am not complaining much because the property taxes
on our farm are low compared to just about any other place.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/28/2014 9:46 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 19:09:07 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Well, If you are informed you know. If you are not informed you may be
paying too much.

Just because yours is less than your neighbors does not mean that you
and or your neighbors are not paying too much.

Basically I have never been sorry for looking into paying lower taxes.
;~) It typically costs you nothing, providing you go to the right
people, to be represented for reconsideration of you assessed taxes.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/27/2014 4:01 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

But those very same fixed things add (or subtract) to the resale value
of the house. If they do the job right (not getting into this), then
the taxed value is correct. IOW, as long as assessed_value =
resale_value, all is good.

Now granted that is the way it is set up but why on earth should you
have to pay $10,000 and you neighbor only have to pay $4000? You both
are being represented the same and use the same amenities.

"Fairness" of the tax system is a whole different kettle. Why do I
pay a higher percentage of my income in tax than my neighbor? Why do
I pay more dollars in income tax? "Fair" is in the eye of the
beholder but life isn't fair.

It would be like the grocery store picking a different sales tax rate
for you than the next guy in line because you own two cars and he only
owns one.

No, it's like a grocery store charging higher tax on steak than
hamburger. Of course some states do this (orange juice vs. orange
drink, sorts of things).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/29/2014 9:12 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 19:23:13 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 1/27/2014 4:01 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Property taxes based on perceived value is a farce, scam, sham, you name it.

Paying a tax for the value on your house is unfair. You don't get extra
services than your next door neighbor nor does he get more services than
you yet one of you is paying more tax to offset government spending.

The fact that the government picks an ever changing variable makes it
easy to increase taxes with out back lash.
If every one paid the same tax for said services the government would
have to have a better reason/excuse to increase taxes as every one would
be affected.

It is far easier to pick on individuals and increase their taxes than to
increase the taxes across the board on everyone.

Every property owner under the same taxing authority should pay the same
property tax. That is the only, fair to all, schedule to use.

Now granted that is the way it is set up but why on earth should you
have to pay $10,000 and you neighbor only have to pay $4000? You both
are being represented the same and use the same amenities.

"Fairness" of the tax system is a whole different kettle. Why do I
pay a higher percentage of my income in tax than my neighbor? Why do
I pay more dollars in income tax? "Fair" is in the eye of the
beholder but life isn't fair.

It would be like the grocery store picking a different sales tax rate
for you than the next guy in line because you own two cars and he only
owns one.

No, it's like a grocery store charging higher tax on steak than
hamburger. Of course some states do this (orange juice vs. orange
drink, sorts of things).

Actually it is like the car thing, perceived wealth and taxed on that.
Property taxes are not fair by taxing your perceiv4ed wealth. You
should be taxed for services, not on what you own.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/29/2014 10:05 AM, Leon wrote:
Property taxes based on perceived value is a farce, scam, sham, you name
it.

Paying a tax for the value on your house is unfair. You don't get extra
services than your next door neighbor nor does he get more services than
you yet one of you is paying more tax to offset government spending.

The fact that the government picks an ever changing variable makes it
easy to increase taxes with out back lash.
If every one paid the same tax for said services the government would
have to have a better reason/excuse to increase taxes as every one would
be affected.

It is far easier to pick on individuals and increase their taxes than to
increase the taxes across the board on everyone.

Every property owner under the same taxing authority should pay the same
property tax. That is the only, fair to all, schedule to use.

All the above, to include the most important point:

The practice of appraisal districts setting an "appraised value" for
taxing purposes arguably, and ultimately, results in "taxation without
representation".

The politicians, whom you elect to represent you, do NOT have to raise
taxes by increasing the "tax rate" in order to raise your taxes. You
can't hold their feet to the fire at the next election if they attempt
to "raise taxes".

Here in Texas the political class have simply created a quasi-government
entity in the "county appraisal districts", effectively insulating
themselves from being held accountable to rises in taxes by increases in
"appraised values", not the "tax rate".

AAMOF, I filed suit against all Harris County, TX taxing authorities and
districts regarding this very thing in 1981.

Five years later, after one continuance after another by the lawyers
representing each of the entities, who took turns showing up in court as
a delaying tactic, I had paid, fool that I am, +/- $5k in attorneys fees.

I had to give it up when the O&G industry hit the skids in 1986 ... as
an individual, you simply can't beat city hall's ability to beat you
with tax payer dollars (based on those same appraised values).

I gave it a shot, but the *******s won in the end. I knew better but,
having the financial resources at the time, I did it anyway, figuring
someone had to speak out .. for the ****ing good it did.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 10:05:16 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 1/29/2014 9:12 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 19:23:13 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 1/27/2014 4:01 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Is it any more of a scam than appraised value for resale? After all,
it's (or should be) an estimate based on comparable home sales.

Paying a tax for the value on your house is unfair. You don't get extra
services than your next door neighbor nor does he get more services than
you yet one of you is paying more tax to offset government spending.

I don't disagree but that's the way it's done and, as I said, life
isn't fair. The principle "unfairness" is that it is a tax on wealth,
rather than income (ability to pay).

The fact that the government picks an ever changing variable makes it
easy to increase taxes with out back lash.
If every one paid the same tax for said services the government would
have to have a better reason/excuse to increase taxes as every one would
be affected.

But "that's not fair". Snif.

Why do I pay more in income tax than the guy living in a cardboard
box, under the Interstate?

It is far easier to pick on individuals and increase their taxes than to
increase the taxes across the board on everyone.

Not sure that's true (or all that relevant). The real danger, here,
is that it can (and is) used as political capital (and retribution).

Every property owner under the same taxing authority should pay the same
property tax. That is the only, fair to all, schedule to use.

The guy in a one-bedroom apartment should pay the same as Al Gore, in
his 90 bathroom mansion?

[...]

That would be fine, if everyone could even come close to paying that
bill. Divide government spending by the population to see what your
share is.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 11:50:42 -0600, Swingman wrote:

[...]

Ah, here we have the sticking point. The government expenditures *are*
voted on by either the people or the representatives. Taxation is
simply the means to balance the sheet. If they vote for the expense,
the tax is guaranteed.

Interestingly, when I moved South, I found even property taxes were
done very differently. In the North (Vermont, in this case), the
expenses were set by the government (either representative or by
direct vote - another scam but that's for a different time) and the
"grand list" (the value of all properties) was set by the assessors.
The millage was then total expenses/"grand list" (everyone then pays
their assessed value * millage). The "grand list" was updated (100%
assessment) at least once a decade. Simple enough but it causes all
sorts of ugliness when property values are changing wildly. Then
there is the expense of creating and keeping the "grand list".

In AL and GA, the tax rate is set and the property value is set.
Government then has to live with the results. When property values
plummeted, so did the money available to the municipalities. My taxes
actually went down every year I lived in AL (even this year). That
would *never* happen in VT.

Here in Texas the political class have simply created a quasi-government
entity in the "county appraisal districts", effectively insulating
themselves from being held accountable to rises in taxes by increases in
"appraised values", not the "tax rate".

But they *are* responsible for the millage and the expenses, no?

AAMOF, I filed suit against all Harris County, TX taxing authorities and
districts regarding this very thing in 1981.

Five years later, after one continuance after another by the lawyers
representing each of the entities, who took turns showing up in court as
a delaying tactic, I had paid, fool that I am, +/- $5k in attorneys fees.

I had to give it up when the O&G industry hit the skids in 1986 ... as
an individual, you simply can't beat city hall's ability to beat you
with tax payer dollars (based on those same appraised values).

This is certainly true. Government has more guns, too.

I gave it a shot, but the *******s won in the end. I knew better but,
having the financial resources at the time, I did it anyway, figuring
someone had to speak out .. for the ****ing good it did.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/29/2014 3:22 PM, wrote:
[...]

And unfortunately they will find a way to spend the money whether they
need to or not.

Many government departments do not want to cut their budgets so some
things cost the same year or more year in and year out whether the need
is there or not. Does a concrete park bench need to be sand blasted and
repainted 3 times a year? Yes, if you to want to receive the same funding.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/29/2014 4:06 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 15:41:31 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 1/29/2014 3:22 PM,
wrote:
Ah, here we have the sticking point. The government expenditures*are*
voted on by either the people or the representatives. Taxation is
simply the means to balance the sheet. If they vote for the expense,
the tax is guaranteed.

The "sticking point" is government waste and boondoggling.

Again, another subject that we are in violent agreement on. ;-)

Expenditures ALWAYS rise to meet revenue, whether necessary or not. Give
the *******s an opportunity to have more revenue to play with, the
opportunity will be taken, and play with it they will.

The point is that they have to vote on expenditures. You are being
represented. If your neighbors are too stupid to see anything other
than their tax bill once a year, well...

...they are.

I think the point is that the person that lives in the same size house
across the major roadway 100 yards from my house pays double what I do
in property taxes. We both have use to all of the same amenities but My
subdivision is called Grand Meadows, his is called Parkway Estates. Is
it fair that I pay less for those amenities?

With tax based on perceived value there could easily be one heck of a
surplus in revenue and or way under budget.

If the amount needed on an annual basis was simply divided by the number
of property owners the amount collected would be easily determined and
way more accurate. And the government spending would be under heavier
scrutiny. As it is now tax paying property owners focus more on trying
to lower their over appraised property values rather than whether the
government is collecting too much as a whole or not.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/29/2014 6:59 PM, Leon wrote:
If the amount needed on an annual basis was simply divided by the number
of property owners the amount collected would be easily determined and
way more accurate. And the government spending would be under heavier
scrutiny. As it is now tax paying property owners focus more on trying
to lower their over appraised property values rather than whether the
government is collecting too much as a whole or not.

Way too sensible a solution, Leon.

Like a flat tax, there is no political hay/opportunity for politicians,
and their corporate sponsors,to profit from such a solution.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/29/2014 7:49 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/29/2014 3:22 PM, wrote:
[...]

Actually many budgets are inflated because managers become more
important in govt based on their budget not what they do. If they have a
big budget they are somebody... So watch a little guy with a big ego
push his budgetary needs to become somebody.

That and govt does not live within it's means. Nor do they know how to
do anything but spend and mess it up.

--
Jeff
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 01/29/2014 10:05 AM, Leon wrote:

Actually it is like the car thing, perceived wealth and taxed on that.
Property taxes are not fair by taxing your perceiv4ed wealth. You
should be taxed for services, not on what you own.

That kind of talk is enough to make a liberal blow a gasket.

basilisk
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/29/2014 7:20 PM, woodchucker wrote:
Actually many budgets are inflated because managers become more
important in govt based on their budget not what they do. If they have a
big budget they are somebody... So watch a little guy with a big ego
push his budgetary needs to become somebody.

That and govt does not live within it's means. Nor do they know how to
do anything but spend and mess it up.

Sounds like a man who has grasped, through personal experience, the ways
and wherefores of our current cultural values.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
http://www.custommade.com/by/ewoodshop/
KarlCaillouet@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"woodchucker" wrote in message

On 1/27/2014 4:01 PM, Leon wrote:
[...]

Jeff Yes you can. And they will S&i# on you.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 1/29/2014 8:37 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 1/29/2014 7:20 PM, woodchucker wrote:
Actually many budgets are inflated because managers become more
important in govt based on their budget not what they do. If they have a
big budget they are somebody... So watch a little guy with a big ego
push his budgetary needs to become somebody.

That and govt does not live within it's means. Nor do they know how to
do anything but spend and mess it up.

Sounds like a man who has grasped, through personal experience, the ways
and wherefores of our current cultural values.

Not personally, but I have enough friends who have that experience,
being in state jobs. It makes your head spin when you hear about the waste.

--
Jeff

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 01/29/2014 07:26 PM, woodchucker wrote:
On 1/29/2014 8:37 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 1/29/2014 7:20 PM, woodchucker wrote:
Actually many budgets are inflated because managers become more
important in govt based on their budget not what they do. If they have a
big budget they are somebody... So watch a little guy with a big ego
push his budgetary needs to become somebody.

That and govt does not live within it's means. Nor do they know how to
do anything but spend and mess it up.

Sounds like a man who has grasped, through personal experience, the ways
and wherefores of our current cultural values.

Not personally, but I have enough friends who have that experience,
being in state jobs. It makes your head spin when you hear about the waste.

End of the budget year, and if you don't spend it, they will reduce your
budget for net year - sigh!

That's why many government employees find that they need new iPhones,
iPads, etc.

--
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure,the creed of ignorance, and the
gospel of envy, its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery"
Posted to rec.woodworking

End of the budget year, and if you don't spend it, they will reduce
your budget for net year - sigh!

Standard practice whether it be public or private sector.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:
[...]

As long as you're community is paying its bills using a "value" based
property tax system, yes. OTOH, the property tax, in itself, is a
poor tax, for the reasons I've already given.

With tax based on perceived value there could easily be one heck of a
surplus in revenue and or way under budget.

Yes, but that should take care of itself. Either live within your
means or raise more revenue. As individuals, we have the same
choices.

If the amount needed on an annual basis was simply divided by the number
of property owners the amount collected would be easily determined and
way more accurate. And the government spending would be under heavier
scrutiny. As it is now tax paying property owners focus more on trying
to lower their over appraised property values rather than whether the
government is collecting too much as a whole or not.

How positively regressive of you. ;-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 19:12:41 -0600, Swingman wrote:

On 1/29/2014 6:59 PM, Leon wrote:
If the amount needed on an annual basis was simply divided by the number
of property owners the amount collected would be easily determined and
way more accurate. And the government spending would be under heavier
scrutiny. As it is now tax paying property owners focus more on trying
to lower their over appraised property values rather than whether the
government is collecting too much as a whole or not.

Way too sensible a solution, Leon.

Like a flat tax, there is no political hay/opportunity for politicians,
and their corporate sponsors,to profit from such a solution.

*THAT* is my choice. I could be convinced with the "fair" tax, but
I'm not ready to go there. It would be better than what we have,
though.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 18:49:00 -0600, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 1/29/2014 3:22 PM, wrote:
[...]

No argument. That's how they get and keep their jobs.

Many government departments do not want to cut their budgets so some
things cost the same year or more year in and year out whether the need
is there or not. Does a concrete park bench need to be sand blasted and
repainted 3 times a year? Yes, if you to want to receive the same funding.

Human nature. Large businesses run the same way, with the exception
that they can go out of business. Governments can't.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 20:20:19 -0500, woodchucker
wrote:

On 1/29/2014 7:49 PM, Leon wrote:
On 1/29/2014 3:22 PM, wrote:
[...]

Moons ago, when Bill Bennett was the Education Secretary, he tried to
give money back and was told in no uncertain terms that he couldn't do
that. He said that he didn't need the budget he had to do the job he
was given. That wasn't a good enough reason.

That and govt does not live within it's means. Nor do they know how to
do anything but spend and mess it up.

What has the government done right, in the last 20 years?