Posted to sci.electronics.repair
dave dave is offline

Default Long stem guitar input jack sockets

On 01/27/2014 02:41 PM, Gareth Magennis wrote:

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message ...

"N_Cook" wrote in message ...

These sort of things
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GUITAR-JAC...-/400092374539

Having now got inside one I see why they last no time at all with loads
of jack insertions/extractions a gig, swapping guitars. No name socket
in otherwise good name guitar. The contacts metal are 27x2x0.5mm
supported , reactively sliding only, not postively anchored, at the ends
only. 600gm of extraction force will pull it out and any marginal off
axis strain on the plug, via the lead, in the wrong radial sense will
break contact, so no duck-walking etc. Any like for like replacement
will of course be the same non-functional state in a year or 2s time.
Now I've seen inside then any other one I come across , assuming not
mangled ,just tired, will have the same bodge-mod to bring the
extraction force up to 3Kg or so , and no reason to believe it won't
stay that way for many years.

No name versions of these are crap, as you have established.

Don't buy anything other than Switchcraft, which are not crap, and will
last
a reasonable length of time before replacement is necessary.

These are less than £3 more than the crap version, - guess which one is
going to better your reputation.
http://www.wdmusic.co.uk/panel-jack-stereo-1115-p.asp

Gareth.

Oops, I didn't properly read your post.
It seems you are going to bodge the crap one instead of replacing it
with a good one.

Never mind, eh.

Gareth.

Here is a nice variety of solutions.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electron...ts:_Jacks.html

good for model numbers if nothing else..