AArDvarK

Default Maple vs Beech for workbench -- does it matter?

I can't imagine anywhere in America that poplar would be cheaper than
construction-grade lumber, but what do I know? Don't answer that. I
would give serious consideration to Jummywood (Southern Yellow Pine).
It's only slightly more expensive than white wood and twice as hard
and plenny dense for a workbench.

Sorry I meant "cheaper than maple". But that southern yellow pine sounds like
the right idea if it is low on knots, maybe that doesn't matter. I saw a chart that
says SYP is a very hard and heavy wood. Thanks much for the input on that.

Alex