Posted to alt.home.repair

Default #14 Romex To Light From #12/20-amp?

On Monday, January 27, 2014 1:26:43 AM UTC-5, Harry K wrote:
On Sunday, January 26, 2014 3:30:53 PM UTC-8, Dean Hoffman wrote:

On 1/26/14 10:06 AM, Harry K wrote:

NEC code does not even address anything about WHO wires it. Ever hear

about getting wiring inspected when selling a house? Violations

don't pass no matter who screwed it up.

Harry K

The state of Nebraska does though. A homeowner can wire his own

stuff. I don't think I could even wire a neighbor's house for free

since I don't have a residential license. One can't wire for profit

without an appropriate license at least in theory.

AFAIK _anyone_ can do their own wiring in any state. That they are allowed to do it doesn not speak to doing it right or wrong though.

Inspections aren't required in many areas unless one is replacing

the service.

And when you sell the house, anyone buying without an inspection is a fool.

Are you implying that a quick once over by the typical home
inspector for a sale on what he can easily see is the same as
an electrical inspection on the actual work as it was done
by the AHJ at the time it was done? If you watched the Holmes
shows on TV, he's been in house after house where all kinds
of screwed up wiring existed, but a home inspector never saw
it because it was hidden behind sheetrock, etc. Having specific
work inspected by the electrical inspector and what a home
inspector does are very different.

There is reciprocity among several states surrounding Nebraska for

licensing.

Again doesn't address the point about NEC code requirements.

Harry K

I thought we were discussing the alleged code requirement that says
you can't extend a 15 amp circuit that uses 12 gauge wire with 14 gauge.
Still waiting for a cite on that.