Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Erik[_5_] Erik[_5_] is offline

Default How To Read A Smashed Hard Drive

What did you do -- just wish him luck? :-) (After all your
precautions, it sounds like he would not get anything. :-) (Or, you
could plant some imperfectly destroyed disinformation in there, kind of
like the Japanese and the stolen capacitor electrolyte formula which the
Chinese and Koreans tried to use. I don't know whether that was truly
disinformation, or just plain incompetence somewhere along the chain. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

Caught the competitor in the trash eons ago... right before I wised up
and got a shredder. Then after I saw a report on TV where someone was
taking bags of shreddings and piecing them back together, I figured
anyone with a little patience could do likewise.

Really don't go all that crazy with the precautions... have busted up
about 10 hard drives through the years, 3 of which were actually mine...
about 10 or 12 CDR's/DVD's a year, and oh, 3 or 4 shredded document
'dumps' a year. Really just don't generate all that much...

Wikipedia talks about the capacitor electrolyte thing... whoever it was
sure caused a lot of grief...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Erik