Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How To Read A Smashed Hard Drive

On 2014-01-26, Erik wrote:
On 1/25/14, 7:17 PM, jon_banquer wrote:
Here is why you're a ****ing moron if you think smashing your hard drive is a good answer to protecting your data from someone determined enough to read it.

You're also a ****ing moron if you believe iggy is some kind a computer expert.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...drive-14877558

"Yes, physically destroying a hard drive renders your device and the data on it unusable. But with enough motivation and the right equipment—and the F.B.I. has both—some of your data can be recovered. Dan Kaminsky, chief scientist of security firm DKH, says 100 percent physical data destruction is nearly impossible. The only method that comes close is overwriting the disk.

Haven't really been following this thread... but hard drives can be made
100% unreadable.

Some use Aluminum platters, and other glass... just disassemble, remove,
and melt down the platters. I'm sure it could be done without
disassembly, but would be a smoky, loathsome & messy chore.

I've heard a description of a bunch of GIs being assigned to a
particular task. They were put in the command of a group of MPs. Eyes
front the whole time.

They were driven out into the desert, and each handed a shovel
and told to dig a hole so deep by so wide. When done, come back for the
next step.

Handed a disk drive (carefully checked off and recorded by
serial number) and a bag.

Place drive in bottom of hole.

Place bag on top.

While a MP observes, light the ribbon sticking out of the bag,
and step back.

Wait until the thermite burns out.

Demonstrate the slag to the MP. (Probably turn it over with the
shovel to see what the drive looked like after this. :-) MP
checks off last box beside that serial number.

Shovel the dirt back into the hole.

All driven back, and released for whatever was in line for them
next.

Yes, determined enough is a huge factor. And yes it takes immense

[ ... ]

Personally, I just clamp drives in the vise, beat[1] with a hand sledge
and mangle with the enormous channel-locks, being sure few if any
portions of the platters remain flat... and in the trash they go.

Sounds like a nice stress relief operation. :-)

CDR's
& DVD's get cut into several pieces with tin snips...

If you want a light show, take a block of styrofoam and cut
slots into it to hold several CDs or DVDs on edge, and place in a
microwave oven. Run on high for about ten seconds. (Better not to use
the one which is used for food in the break room. :-) If you do it in a
darkened room, you'll see a nice little light show.

I don't know how much can be recovered from this -- but if I were
*serious* about it, I would then hit it with the tin snips -- or
perhaps run an orbital sander over the surface. :-)

documents I worry
a little more about. I shred and hold till I'm around & hear the trash
truck, then spread them around loose in the can... so no one will have a
tidy bag containing all the pieces. Yes, they could be picked out of the
truck, but loose & scattered makes the process a huge undertaking.

(Incidentally, I once caught a competitor going through my trash...)

What did you do -- just wish him luck? :-) (After all your
precautions, it sounds like he would not get anything. :-) (Or, you
could plant some imperfectly destroyed disinformation in there, kind of
like the Japanese and the stolen capacitor electrolyte formula which the
Chinese and Koreans tried to use. I don't know whether that was truly
disinformation, or just plain incompetence somewhere along the chain. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail