Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers
Paul Drahn Paul Drahn is offline

Default Need help / tips for using blowtorch

On 1/26/2014 11:20 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 1/26/2014 1:38 PM, Michael Black wrote:
You should check Snopes, and a couple other web sites. Wasp spray isn't
suited for self defense.

You use what you have. A rolled-up magazine is better than nothing.

Isn't that what they teach in self-defense courses?

The real thing about those courses is they aren't about "what to use"
but actually doing.

I've never gone out of the house without some sort of knife, since I was
at least 15. But it would never occur to me to use it as a weapon.
Even if it did, I don't think I could follow through. We do get
squeamish.

So things like a rolled up newspaper is more in the realm of what some
can use, and then run.

I think I got it from reading about those self-defense courses, but one
time when a bicyclist went through a red light when I was crossing, and
worse, a bus was stopped at that corner so the cyclist didn't know if
any pedestrians were crossing, he ran into my arm, which caused him to
attack me like I was the problem. I remember seeing sunglasses in his
pocket, and taking them and throwing them. I seem to recall he want
after the sunglasses. Wouldn't work when someone was planning to do you
damage, but it has potential for distracting some random attack.

Michael

There was an email that went around, about using
wasp spray as self defense. I think that gullible
people will put confidence in false information,
and find them selves under protected. I'd hate to
speak at the funeral of someone who could have had
effective defense, but chose to rely on wasp spray.

Carb cleaner works best on wasps. Has no effect on bumble bees because
of their furry coats. Bet it would work for self defense, also.

Paul