Robert Bonomi

Default Maple vs Beech for workbench -- does it matter?

In article ,
patriarch patriarch wrote:
"AArDvarK" wrote in

If that's what you're going to use for leg support, then consider
using CDX plywood to build up the thickness, with the maple top. The
differences won't be apparent in use.
You can build a perfectly servicable bench from construction grade
lumber, using the right joinery. While maple is great, don't let the
lack of a great bench stop you from working on the projects you
really want to build. If you want to build an heirloom bench later,
when time, space and money allow, you'll be more experienced, and do
a better job. Patriarch

Good advice, thank you. But what does CDX mean? The other concern
about plywood, while I did consider it, is those holes to be drilled
for hold-downs and bench dogs. I can imagine that pressure will be
applied toward the sides of the holes at the lower ends, eventually
that ply will begin to break down and chip? I can also imagine DF
2x4's will also develope cracks because of the wide grain structure. I
heard that poplar is only a little harder than DF (much local) but has
a much better grain, tighter, and lower cost.

Alex

CDX describes the grade of plywood. CDX has one face side, with many
repaired knots & splits, and a back side, X, with essentially whatever
happens to come out. In other words, rough construction grade.

Isn't it "front side grade 'C', back side grade 'D', exterior-use (i.e.
a 'waterproof' glue used) rated' ?