Posted to alt.home.repair

Default #14 Romex To Light From #12/20-amp?

On Saturday, January 25, 2014 4:23:53 PM UTC-5, mike wrote:
On 1/25/2014 10:35 AM, wrote:

Maybe, and I see your point, but AFAIK, it's not a code violation,

unless you have a cite that says otherwise. Anyone changing a breaker

to a higher rating should only do so after checking everything on it and not

just by making assumptions.

That attitude is exactly why we have one-size-fits-all requirements in

the code.

People are stupid.

Maybe you don't care if the next owner of the house burns it down.

What "attitude"? And what "one size fits all" requirement in the NEC
are you referring to? Please cite. AFAIK, it's perfectly code compliant
to use either 12 gauge wire or 14 gauge wire on a 15 amp breaker. And
IDK of any requriement that says if you want to use 12 gauge for a very long
run to reduce voltage drop, then install some 15 amp receptacles on the
end or some lights, using 14 gauge, that it's not allowed. If you have
the section to cite, I'm sure we'd all like to see it.

And I'd say that people who are stupid and unqualifed should not be
changing breakers in a panel. Because if you operate on that premise, then
they could put a 50 amp breaker in and hook 12, 14, or 18 gauge wire
to it.