Posted to alt.home.repair
BenignBodger BenignBodger is offline

Default #14 Romex To Light From #12/20-amp?

On 1/25/2014 9:55 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
I've got an outlet box that is fed by #12 Romex backed by a 20-amp
breaker.

If I were to tap that box to feed a ceiling light, would #14 wire be
code-legal for box-to-ceiling-light?

If I were to pick nits, I might say "No" because conceivably somebody
might plug a load into the ceiling light that exceeded 15 amps....
OTOH.... ?

The way I was taught it, many years ago, if you have a 20A circuit then
every item on the circuit needs to be able to handle 20A -- wires, outlets,
switches, etc. Really, what is the difference in cost between #14 and #12
wire? Yeah, it is a bit stiffer and harder to work with but you aren't
going to be doing it too often. I always remind myself that if a fire
occurs and the insurance inspector shows up I don't want him finding
anything stupid that would let the company wriggle out of paying up.