Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Stupid idea for lathe attachment

On 2014-01-24,
wrote:

And -- another safety point brought on by your photo of the
lathe itself. *Never* leave the chuck key in the chuck -

Yeah, I have a bad habit of doing this. Thanks!

Turn back a bit behind the square end to be a press fit for a
compression spring -- two diameters -- one to allow the spring to
move a
bit, and one closer to the T-handle to trap the spring. Push on a
spring which is long enough to push the key out of the socket
whenever
your hand is not on it -- and make a tube to hold it the rest of the
time -- someplace easy to reach, like the front edge of the table it
is
mounted on. Easy enough to bolt something onto the perforated angle
iron which is supporting the table top. Or ever thread some
coat-hanger
wire through two holes to make a complete loop plus a bit before
turning
into the holes.

Some chuck keys (such as my Bison 6-1/4 inch one) come with such
a spring. I've left mine in place, though some pull them off.

I hung one of these on the wall behind the lathe:
http://www.organizeit.com/wall-mount..._NOgodGlsA7 w
It holds screwdrivers, wrenches, files etc in the front, serving as a
guard rail, and toolholders on the rear step. The center of the front
row is left open for the chuck key. Below it in the mounting plank a
row of L hooks holds inside and outside calipers and old-style square
box wrenches.
jsw