Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Shelf carriers (metal, plastic or wooden?)

On 1/24/14, 2:41 PM, Markem wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jan 2014 14:05:06 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

I'm not trying to be argumentative, here. I know people are looking for
ideas and advice on the subject, that is all I'm interested in giving.

I've done several built-ins, medicine cabinets, and other projects that
use shelf pins. I've tried doing it before during and after. I came to
the conclusion that the simplest, fastest, and least prone to error way
to do it was to use a drilling jig and proprietary plunge drill bit to
drill them not only after assembly, but after finishing.

You end up putting them only where you want them which make for fewer
holes, and you don't have to clean them out after finishing. The finish
on the wood actually makes for cleaner holes, too.

That makes sense, I just do not like putting my head in a small
enclosed space like a bath cabinet with the router. F4's stole some of
my hearing so I minimize my exposure.

On a bookcase probably would follow your method though.

Mark

If I didn't make it clear, I'm talking about a drill bit and drill guide.
A router is overkill, cumbersome, and completely unnecessary.

Google "shelf pin guide."

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)