Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default Shelf carriers (metal, plastic or wooden?)

On 1/24/14, 1:11 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 1/24/14, 11:14 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
On 1/23/14, 7:14 AM, Richard wrote:
On 1/23/2014 5:41 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Sonnich Jensen wrote:
Hi all

I am about to finish this: http://hot.ee/sonnich/Photo1659.jpg

NIce work.

Now, the cupboards on the sides do not yet have shelfes in them.
Basically I have 3 options, and I am not sure which to pick. I
tried to keep it in an old style, my hinges are the type where
the door can be lifted off.

1. I could use those plastic corners, but plastic is not the
style to use here

2. I could use those round (Ø5mm) carriers, which would make it
possible to set the shelfes as I need.

This would be my choice - or shelf standards, routed in so they
lay flush. I have used them a lot for shelves and I personally
like them. It's just a preference thing - I don't realy care as
much for the look of all of the holes when you just use the pegs
- but like I say, it's just a preference thing.

Here's a different thought though... I have found that after
allowing for all of this flexibility in shelf locations... I can
probably count on one hand the number of times I've changed them
once they were put in place the first time. Maybe all of that
flexibility isn't as worthwhile in the end.

Routing a slot is quick and easy.

Drilling eleven-zillion holes isn't.

Sure it is. Easier than routing a slot.
Use a shelf pin drilling jig and you're done before you've set up
the router.

But like you said, it's a preference...

That's exactly what it is, but don't pretend drilling the holes is
difficult.

Ummmmm... I didn't Mike - I said - it's a preference. I do believe
I can set my router up to route that channel faster than I could
execute drilling all those holes even with a good jig, but for me
it's all about the preference of how it looks.

I wasn't talking to you! :-p
I was relying to Richard who replied to you.

So you were! Sorry - got lost there.

Typical lead player... getting lost all the time. :-p

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--