Posted to rec.woodworking
-MIKE- -MIKE- is offline

Default eWoodShop - Bath Remodel 2014

On 1/24/14, 12:25 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 1/24/2014 10:43 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

Great work, as usual.
Has Schluter systems made it your way, yet? Have you ever used it. I
used their Ditra underlayment, Kerdi membrane and Kerdi wall boards for
our baths remodel.

http://www.schluter.com/143.aspx

Yep, Home Depot carries it here, among other places. Mostly online
special ordering though, so thus far I have not used it due to logistics
and lack of being able to "run to the store" when stuff happens.

I encourage you to check it out and use their whole system next time you
get the chance... with availability of course.

Their Kerdi boards are structural, so you can frame up walls and
steps/seats, etc with the rigid foam sections that already have the
membrane permanently attached. No 2x lumber build-outs, then covering in
rubber, then seam tape, etc.

Their seam tape is made of the same membrane and is applied with
thin-set, no expensive specialty adhesives. The Kerdi membrane can go
over anything. No need for green-board or cement board. It can go right
on drywall. But on to-the-studs remodels, you just use their 1/2" Kerdi
board instead of drywall/cement board.

Their shower pan systems are also pretty ridiculous. One guy who is
experience with the Schluter schtuff (-- see what I did there) could
have an entire to-the-studs build-out ready for tile in one long day
with nothing more than thinset and utility knives.

There are a ton of videos on their site and youtube. I was very
skeptical at first, thinking, "It just can't be that easy," but it was.
When I was finished with each step, I was all "No way I'm finished with
this. That's can;t be there is to it."

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)