Posted to rec.woodworking
woodchucker[_3_] woodchucker[_3_] is offline

Default eWoodShop - Bath Remodel 2014

On 1/23/2014 10:14 PM, Swingman wrote:
On 1/23/2014 8:26 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Is the red gard required by code?
I have to do a makeover on my master bath sometime.. been thinking about
how I am going to do it.

Prudent, but not required. At least not around here.

Tile installers have been using "red gard" for a few years, and in some
locations where plumbers do not do shower pans, it is often all that is
used in lieu of a membrane shower pan.

An example, in a similar, but smaller shower I did in AR last year,
where it does happen to be "red" :

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...t=d irectlink

I require, and spec both as a rule, as well as a 24 hour leak test,
which could also be seen in process in the photos of the subject bath.

I saw that and thought it was important too. Thanks for the info.
I'll make sure I do all of that when I finally do the bath upgrade.

All elements of "plumbing", and a shower pan is part of the plumbing
system IMO, should require a leak test.

--
Jeff