Posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers

Default (OT) Avoid Shopping at Walgreens

On 1/22/2014 5:46 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
wrote:
Years ago, Walgreens was a store I'd regularly shop at. But in
recent years their prices seem to have gotten quite a bit higher
than their competitors, so I have not been in any of their stores
for at least a year.

Yesterday I noticed they had Arizona Iced tea cans advertised for
Two for $1.00 on their sign. I like that stuff, so I decided to go
get some. I grabbed 2 cans off the shelf and found another item I
needed, which was priced at $1.69. I went to the checkout, and the
clerk asked me if I have a Walgreens card. I said "No", and was
paying with cash. The total came to $5.24. I asked how she came up
with that amount, while saying that my total should be $2.69 plus
tax. I asked how much I was charged for the Iced Tea. She said
$0.99 per can. I said "it's advertised two for one dollar". She
told me that price is only for people with Walgreens cards. I told
her to remove them from my sale.

Then I was quoted about $3.50 for that other item, which was
priced $1.69 on the shelf. I told her that the price on the shelf
is marked $1.69. She told me that price is just for people with
Walgreens cards. That's when I got angry, and told her that if my
cash is not good enough, then I dont want anything, and I wont shop
at Walgreens ever again. I left the store.

The bottom line is this. It appears that you MUST have a Walgreens
card to shop in their stores now. If you dont have one, they
charge you DOUBLE the price listed on the shelf.

No, you don't need a card to shop in their stores, you only need a
card to get the discounted price.

lower price is available if you have a card, it will be marked on the
tag

I just thought I'd share this so others dont get caught in their
trap. Actually, I think there is some "False advertising" involved,
and in my opinion, what they are doing is illegal. But I dont have
any lawyer friends, and I have better things to do with my time. I
just wont shop at Walgreens ever again.

There's nothing illegal about giving a discount only if you gave the
card. As long as you agree to the rules related to using the card and
choose to sign up, you can get a discount. Your choice.

Again, go back and read the tag. It will say that the card is
required to get the discounted price.

* And as a followup, I bought that "other item" at Walmart for a
better price, than the shelf price was at Walgreens.

I have a card for Walgreens and CVS but I made up the name and address.
I still get a discount and at times, I will get coupons that are printed
on my receipt that are worth quite a bit. I've come out of the drugstore
with a lot of stuff and only spent ten dollars cash because I saved my
coupons. I've actually had the clerk give me a card when I got to the
register and gave me the discount right then. Perhaps it the part of the
country you live in, you know how we backward Southerners are. ^_^

TDD