Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Stupid idea for lathe attachment

wrote in message

At this point I would just break down and buy a sander. Now that I
think about it, by the time I add up the hours and Euros to do any of
this it seems to not pay off. I can get a lower end machine for about
$240. It's just that it would be so cool to have one sticking off of
the back of the lathe, saving a lot of space.

=================

I Googled "Bandschleifer preisvergleich" and see what you mean about
their cost:
http://www.idealo.de/preisvergleich/...d=e4Qn_wGD-Fp_

The Westfalia MD150 looks decent for wood and the Scheppach 700 for
metal or curved wood edges. I have a similar Delta (minus the
"Teller") with a 1" belt that I use more than the wider one, mostly
for deburring and rounding cut metal edges with the more flexible
unsupported area above the platen.

The Guede, Ferm and Berlan resemble the Chinese imports sold here for
$50. They are a lot better than nothing, though a 350W motor isn't
really adequate for more than delicate finishing.

You do need some sort of Staubfaenger unless you work outdoors, to
keep the finer airborne grit off the lathe. Even wood sawdust can
quickly cause rust if it's damp.

jsw