Posted to uk.d-i-y
fred[_8_] fred[_8_] is offline

Default Telegraph pole stay

On 2014-01-23, Mike Barnes wrote:

So, does anyone know what's underneath there?

A giant corkscrew, if having the poles in my garden changed was anything

to go by. We decided where the stay should go, then he drove it in with

a hydraulic motor attachment on the 6x6 Unimog he was using.

--

Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 24th day of Chaos in the YOLD 3180

"Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Peevishness For The

Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Ire That Are

Themselves The Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Wrath"

just curious that they are still called Telegraph poles. How long is it since we used telegraphs.

Round here we call them Telephone poles.

I would agree with their method of erecting them. A slop of concrete at the bottom of a hole does very little. I prefer to dig the hole deep enough and wide enough to allow me get some various stones around the post as I back fill, Effect somewhat similar to strengthening concrete with gravel. We put up post and rail fencing using this method 25 years ago and its still solid