AArDvarK

Default Maple vs Beech for workbench -- does it matter?

If that's what you're going to use for leg support, then consider using CDX
plywood to build up the thickness, with the maple top. The differences
won't be apparent in use.
You can build a perfectly servicable bench from construction grade lumber,
using the right joinery. While maple is great, don't let the lack of a
great bench stop you from working on the projects you really want to build.
If you want to build an heirloom bench later, when time, space and money
allow, you'll be more experienced, and do a better job.
Patriarch

Good advice, thank you. But what does CDX mean? The other concern about plywood,
while I did consider it, is those holes to be drilled for hold-downs and bench dogs. I can
imagine that pressure will be applied toward the sides of the holes at the lower ends,
eventually that ply will begin to break down and chip? I can also imagine DF 2x4's will
also develope cracks because of the wide grain structure. I heard that poplar is only a
little harder than DF (much local) but has a much better grain, tighter, and lower cost.

Alex