Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Stupid idea for lathe attachment

wrote in message
I figure some of you out there must have done this before!

I just got an Optimum D650 lathe (see link 1), and I’d also like to have a
12“ disc sander in my shop, but in my country (Germany) they are quite
expensive, even used. I’m thinking of trying to kludge one on to back of
the lathe, and mount a tilting table to the back cover (see link 2). This
would save space, and I’m not that busy at the moment.

The biggest problem is that the end of the spindle is not threaded, and
there’s not much to attach to back there. My idea is to mount the disc
plate to a long rod which goes all the way through the spindle bore and is
then held by the chuck. Since the spindle bore is only 26mm, I’d need to
make some sort of adapter ring to make everything stable (See drawing –
link 3). I feel like this should work, if a bit quixotic. Any ideas on
whether or not I’m on the right track, or if there would be another way to
attach the disc to the spindle? Ideas on the tilting table? I'm planning
on doing everything with aluminum, since I don't have a milling machine.

Since I must regularly open the cover to change speed and feed rate, the
whole business must be easy to remove. The cover is fairly beefy, so I
think with some reinforcement bars I can mount a table which would work
well enough.

Thanks for all constructive replies. Please no safety warnings! Also, no.
I don't have to worry about voiding my warranty. The machine is twenty
years old!

http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps3e4545f7.jpg

http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps9c7b821c.jpg

http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/o...ps89a0f1b9.jpg

I've chucked up all kinds of wild things on my mini lathe in a pinch. Its
always handy to have a horizontal motorized spinny thing in a pinch, but I
would have some concern about abrasive grit from the sanding disc getting
into the works of the lathe or even on the ways.

That being said, I kinda feel the same way as others about belt vs disc. I
have two combo machines and I use the belt parts all the time, but hardly
ever use the disc. I do have a tapering operation I do on one of them, but
I have seriously considered converting the other over to a buffing wheel
with a mandrel.

---