Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Stupid idea for lathe attachment

wrote in message
On Thursday, January 23, 2014 5:51:23 AM UTC-5,
wrote:

I have not doee this, but if I were to do so I would machine the
adapter where it contacts the rear of the spindle with a taper. Not a
taper that will hold by itself, but one to center the adapter. And I
would hawe a threaded section at the other end of the adapter. And
use a nut to put a little tension on the adapter. That way you are
not depending on the lathe chuck to hold the adapter.
Probably not needed, but it is what I would do.

Dan
==================
I adapted a larger lathe's longer 5C collet closer tube to mine by
making a brass bushing that is a light press fit in the end of the
spindle and a close running fit on the tube. A shaft clamp serves as
the thrust-bearing flange on the collet closer. You could make a
similar steel collar that presses onto the shaft and is retained from
sliding by the disc, and turn the outside to a snug or tapered fit
into the spindle like Dan suggested.

Threaded rod works well for shafts that require short built-up areas
of larger diameter. Jam two nuts together very tightly and turn them
to the shape you want.
jsw