Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Stupid idea for lathe attachment

wrote in message
I figure some of you out there must have done this before!

-I just got an Optimum D650 lathe (see link 1), and I’d also
-like to have a 12“ disc sander in my shop, but in my
-country (Germany) they are quite expensive, even used.
-I’m thinking of trying to kludge one on to back of the
-lathe, and mount a tilting table to the back cover
-(see link 2). This would save space, and I’m not that
-busy at the moment.

Maybe you could get some ideas from wood lathes with adapters to turn
oversized bowls on the left end of the spindle.

I greatly prefer a belt sander, which removes material at the same
rate everywhere. Disc sanders don't flatten surfaces very well because
the outside cuts faster. My father had a disc for his Shopsmith. The
paper came partly unglued and gouged the edge of the saw table.

I lived in southern Germany in the early 1970's. You have some
first-class hobby stores there!

And a milder climate. Ours is like central Russia, +40C in summer
and -20C in winter.

jsw