Andy Dingley

Default *Putting* water in your DC collection bin?

(Joe Emenaker) wrote in message . com...

Well, I'm about to buy a DC and make my own cyclone for it. It struck
me that I'd be *asking* for trouble if I tried cutting metal with a DC
hooked up and running.

IMHO, you shouldn't cut ferrous metals on woodworking machines. Brass
or aluminium maybe, if you have nothing better, but steel swarf is
hard to clean up and can cause a lot of wear and damage. It's also
filthy stuff for things like "iron stain" on oak.

But what if I had a cyclone which emptied into a bin with a little
water in it?

Bad idea IMHO. If you have a steel cyclone, you're asking for
corrosion problems - especially if you then fill it with greenish oak
dust, or something equally acidic. It wouldn't even work - the sawdust
will soak up any free water, so you'd have to be adding gallons of it
to have any effect.

I'd just empty the DC collector before throwing sparks into it.