Charlie Self

Default Panel Saw seen beating crap out of Table Saw

Bridger responds:

I'm also wondering about all the "no money, no space" justifications. I
have a 9x19 shop with no table saw. The bandsaw is my primary saw. I was
considering building a panel saw and mounting it on the wall. It seems me
that would be relatively inexpensive and wouldn't take up that much room
mounted on the wall. Am I missing something?

Mark

in use (if you use them for ripping) they take up *16 feet* of wall. I
can set up 3 pretty good sized machines in that space...

It will also tilt out a couple feet and is easier to use if you've got another
few inches shoulder clearance to muscle the boards up to it.

I've got a 25' x 48' shop, and couldn't find space for one if I tried. Besides,
I'll be ripping a lot of 6-8" tulip poplar down to face frame width this
weekend, so I don't really see the benefit for me. I do cut some panels, maybe
about 10 a year. To pay $1000 and more for a machine that is necessary that few
times drives me right over to my circular saw and straight edge.

Someone noted he had two panel saws, one fitted for regular cutting, one for
dados. Sounds like fun, but his shop must be the size of a blimp hanger. I'm
not at all sure, either, how large a dado set one of them would swing, nor how
will it does tilted, nor how well a molding head would fit, nor...just a whole
bunch of things. Can you do a stopped dado? And on from there.

Charlie Self
"I think the most un-American thing you can say is, 'You can't say that.' "
Garrison Keillor