Posted to rec.woodworking
willshak willshak is offline

Default unfinished red oak boards that beer was spilled on ruined?

Richard wrote:
On 1/18/2014 11:15 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
Anonymouscaedfaa9ed1216d60ef78a6f660f5f85_8180@ex ample.com wrote in
roups.com:

Red oak boards being used as shelves. Was too wet and cold to sand,
stain and poly them so my husband put them up unfinished. Well he
spilled his beer on one. Will sanding be enough or will the spot
rear its ugly head when I get to stain and poly it in the spring?

Wipe *all* of the boards down with beer. Then it won't really matter
-- everything will look the same in the end.

That's one hell of a waste of good beer! I suppose you could use cheap
beer - like maybe Utica Club...

In Texas we would use a foreign beer for this job.

Something like Budweiser or Miller.

It's hard to find a beer brand that isn't owned by a foreign country.
For an all-American brand that is family owned and brewed in Pottsville,
PA, try Yuengling.
They claim it is the oldest US brewery and Google seems to support that
statement.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY