Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default unfinished red oak boards that beer was spilled on ruined?

"Leon" lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote in message

On 1/18/2014 12:11 PM, dadiOH wrote:

Why do you want to stain the wood prior to varnishing?

Is that not your normal order?

I try to avoid stain preferring to use wood I like au natural rather than
trying to make a wood I don't much care for look like something else. The
lack of stain also eases any needed repairs should they become necessary in
the future.

Of course there are exceptions, one of them being when overall color is
important but the wood itself is not. For example, around here, "merlot" is
being championed by many furniture retailers. It is the gotta have color.
Why anyone wants their bedroom suite et al to look like wine I do not know
but strongly suspect it is for much the same reason that granite, volume
ceilings,tray ceilings and crown molding are also "gotta haves"

--

dadiOH