Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.design
Tom Biasi[_3_] Tom Biasi[_3_] is offline

Default Unsolderable wire?

On 1/18/2014 11:22 PM, Bob E. wrote:
I am trying to solder some RG-6 shield to a pcb. The braid won't tin. It's
almost like it's dissipating the heat faster than I can apply it. With both a
temp-controlled iron (set as high as 700F) and a mondo 100W stick I finally
tried. The solder will barely melt when touched to the braid opposite the
iron.

I've applied some Kester rosin paste flux as well using my trusty Kester
60/40 lead-based rosin core solder. No joy. I'm not holding the braid against
the PCB now, I'm just trying to tin the braid and then deal with melting the
2 solders (on the PCB and the braid) together later.

My first attempt--before I realized that I was overheating it--I melted the
dielectric insulation.

The mesh is made from some silver-colored braid which I thought is tinned
copper but now I'm of the opinion that it's steel; it's certainly not
aluminum. There is also foil which is probably aluminum but I've trimmed that
back and it's not part of this frustrating process right now.

What's the trick to getting this braid to take solder? I've never seen this
before.

Thanks.

Twist the braid into a wire and butt splice on a copper wire. Heat
shrink over it.