Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Home Depot/Lowes appliance repair?

On 1/18/2014 10:28 AM, Norminn wrote:

The point I tried to make was that engineered obsolescence should be a
crime! The ability to design and manufacture quality appliances should
be greater now than it was 60 years ago. Of course, I expect energy
efficiency, but mfg. practices are such that mfgs cut every possible
penny from mfg. to the extent that circuit boards burn out, not enough
internal insulation, less durable material (price door seals) etc.

Two parts to that equation. Yes, part of it is planned obsolescence,
but part of it is cheap consumers. We can buy appliances for much less
than we could 60 years ago. When we got married in 1966 we bought a
6,000 BTU air conditioner for the bedroom. Now, in 2013 I can buy a
lighter more cheaply made AC for about the same dollars.

People can now afford appliances, possibly less reliable, that they
could not afford years ago. Good or bad?

I'm wondering if washers with no agitator will last...we have a Maytag,
1 y/o, and so far it is fine. I always use the "bulky" setting to get
more water so's my clothes aren't ground to pieces. There is no doubt
in my mind that with much less water there is much more friction on the
fabrics. Saving $ on water isn't economic if my clothes wear out faster
)

Bought one a few months ago. Works well, but given the complexity of it
all, I wonder how reliable it really is.

I replaced a 3.5 gallon toilet with a 1.6, replaced an old washer with
hi-efficiency, replaced the dishwasher with a new more efficient model.
Water bill came today and it is $4 higher than the last one.