Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Home Depot/Lowes appliance repair?

On 1/18/2014 10:28 AM, Norminn wrote:
The point I tried to make was that engineered obsolescence should be a
crime! The ability to design and manufacture quality appliances should
be greater now than it was 60 years ago. Of course, I expect energy
efficiency, but mfg. practices are such that mfgs cut every possible
penny from mfg. to the extent that circuit boards burn out, not enough
internal insulation, less durable material (price door seals) etc.

I'm wondering if washers with no agitator will last...we have a Maytag,
1 y/o, and so far it is fine. I always use the "bulky" setting to get
more water so's my clothes aren't ground to pieces. There is no doubt
in my mind that with much less water there is much more friction on the
fabrics. Saving $ on water isn't economic if my clothes wear out faster
)

I'm also not fond of that planned obsolescence.
I figure that means more material used, energy,
etc. And we're packing the already over filled
landfills. What's the point of turn down the
thermostat and put a brick in the toilet tank
(and all the other 1970's conservation tricks)
if we just keep landfilling the computer printer,
the refrigerator, etc.

I've heard that the low water front loading washers
are a failure, on so many levels. The new clothes
dryers with the bearing supported clothes drum are
also a failure. Electrolux, White Westinghouse, I
think it is.

--
..
Christopher A. Young