Posted to rec.woodworking

Default unfinished red oak boards that beer was spilled on ruined?

wrote:
On Saturday, January 18, 2014 10:47:16 AM UTC-6, woodchucker wrote:

Try cleaning with oxalic acid before you stain.

It will clean the wood and remove anything left.

Jeff

Do you have personal experience using that method?

You realize of course, that when you bleach out the stain with the
acid, it won't discriminate between the stained areas and the
unstained areas, right? So cleaning the area will lighten that one
area on the entire on the entire project. This will be like using
full strength Clorox to treat a spot on a black dress shirt.

The original poster should post more info about size and appearance
of the stain, what kind of oak it is, and how the stain has been
treated to this point before expecting an intelligent answer.

It is important to note that the OP never said there was any kind of
stain to treat or deal with. For all we know, the beer was spilled
and immediately wiped off and you can't even tell where the spill
was.

I'm not a beer drinker these days, though I certainly was in the past... but
I would think beer would clean up very well with just water - right now.

--

-Mike-