Posted to alt.home.repair
Norminn Norminn is offline

Default Home Depot/Lowes appliance repair?

On 1/14/2014 12:38 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/13/2014 10:17 PM, Norminn wrote:

CBS news tonight had a spot about appliance repair a la Consumer
Reports. Advised to buy new if the repair bill would be more than half
new purchase price!! Really? F--- that! My parents bought a Philco

Hi,
**** replace "that" with your name. LOW efficiency aNcient fridge is a
power HOG! Nothing to brag about.

The point I tried to make was that engineered obsolescence should be a
crime! The ability to design and manufacture quality appliances should
be greater now than it was 60 years ago. Of course, I expect energy
efficiency, but mfg. practices are such that mfgs cut every possible
penny from mfg. to the extent that circuit boards burn out, not enough
internal insulation, less durable material (price door seals) etc.

fridge about 1955 ... to replace our ice box ... and it was still
working in 2005. Something like 40% of refrigerators need repair
withing 4 years. Damn crooked mfgs...

Do the math. All the math. Even with a repair every four years, that
1955 refrigerator is costing you more than a new efficient model and the
occasional repair.

I got rid of an old fridge and replaced it with one 50% larger and my
electric bill dropped over $10 a month.

I'm wondering if washers with no agitator will last...we have a Maytag,
1 y/o, and so far it is fine. I always use the "bulky" setting to get
more water so's my clothes aren't ground to pieces. There is no doubt
in my mind that with much less water there is much more friction on the
fabrics. Saving $ on water isn't economic if my clothes wear out faster )