Lowell Holmes

Default Flat Out Flat - Possible?

Bob,
1/100 (.01) is closer to 1/128 (.0078) than it is to 1/64 (.0156). 1/64" is
hardly perceptible in wood working. The only way I can mark that close is
with a utility knife. 2/100 is a little larger than 1/64.
I don't work wood to .0078" tolerances. If you could, the change in moisture
content during the day would change it. I have some old (antique) calipers
that read to 1/32" that I use and I don't often work that close. The
confusion in converting decimal fractions to English units is why I don't
use my dial calipers. I want to plane my wood to 3/8", not .375", 7/16", not
..4375", and so on. . .
To me, using a feeler gage to measure flatness of a workbench is a little
retentive. I prefer to make things. :-)

"Bob" wrote in message
om...
Correction:

When I said a few thousands of an inch- I was reading the gauge wrong-
its actually a few hundreths. Does this change things?

Bob

snip