George

Default Maple vs Beech for workbench -- does it matter?

I'd change the 'f' to a t. Not worth the risk on beech. Sort of brittle,
too.

I would, however, not shirk at using "soft" (A rubrum) maple either.
Abundant and pretty cheap, because it has relatively large heartwood area,
and isn't as attractive for furniture, which a bench shouldn't be.

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
Nate Perkins asks:

Beech is what might be called a shifty wood. Fagus grandifolia is American
beech, AKA red beech, white beech, winter beech. It needs great care in
seasoning because of its high shrinkage rate. It is also not stable after

it is
seasoned. Still, it makes good flooring, butcher blocks, chairs, handles

and
other items. Given a choice between Acer saccharum and beech, I'd jump on

the
maple every time. It needs rapid drying to prevent stain, but seasons well

and
is a fairlys table wood after seasoning. It makes superb floors and is

used in
bowling alleys and pins because of its hardness and stability.