Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Uni-t-fence

On 1/17/2014 8:31 AM, woodchucker wrote:
On 1/17/2014 3:29 AM, Mike M wrote:
On Wed, 15 Jan 2014 09:11:45 -0600, Leon wrote:

Bill wrote:
Leon wrote:

All in all you can't foresee what is going to be best for you. You
cannot foresee all possible problems. You cannot foresee any
gotcha's.

Like Swingman indicated, until you actually start using the saw, shop,
over blade guard/dust collector you have no clue what you are going to
actually want to end up with.

You can way over think all of this, and possibly put a lot of work
into something that you may end up not liking. Better to make a
decision from actual experience vs. a preconceived notion of something
you have read or think you wold prefer.

Okay. But having said that, what do you think of this choice of
blades:

(Freud)
LU74R (30-tooth, "glue-line rip")
LU-85R (80-tooth, "ultimate cut-off")

All probably good blades. I have bought a lot of good blades through
the
years, going back to the early 80's,
In 1999 I finally switched to the Forrest WWII 40 tooth Regular kerf
blade,
For all cutting I have used nothing else, I do probably more
woodworking
than most that post here so my blades see a lot of work compared to
most.
Probably at the most I send the blade back to Forrest every 2-3 years
to be
brought back to factory spec's.

FWIW I do not give the Forrest blades much thought, I don't long for
something better as I am never disappointed in the smoothness or
quality of
the cut. Additionally I don't baby the blades or save them for special
projects, they are tough and stay sharp for a very long time even when
cutting through the occasional finishing nail.

I use this particular blade for "all" off my cuts regardless of the
type of
cut I am making. The only exception to this is when I have my
Forrest Dado
King mounted or my 15 year old WWII that I had reground to a flat cut
for
cutting flat bottom groves

I have 2 40T and bought a 48 T Forest Blade. I took one off to get it
sharpened but judging by the new one I could have waited. The 40T
cuts so well I haven't been motivted yet to try the 48 tooth.

I think the 48 is overkill. The 40t is a good all around blade, the 48
would be too oriented to crosscutting and too slow for ripping.

Perhaps cuz I typically get an almost burnished cut on the end grain
with 40 teeth.
Although it might be better for woods like pine or poplar, soft woods maybe.