Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Sketchup, dowels

Greg Guarino wrote:
On 1/15/2014 7:54 PM, Swingman wrote:
Use loose tenon joinery, with a router jig like this:

http://e-woodshop.net/Jigs.htm#MortJig1

So far, I haven't got a plunge router. But I think I can see one from
here.

I'm curious about that jig (partly because it looks simple enough for
me to make). It looks as if it uses the bottom plate/body of the
router running along the stops in the jig for alignment. Is that
preferable in some way to a jig with a bearing-guided bit or a guide
ring? Or can you even use such things with a plunge router? (feel
free to take a deep breath if the ignorance gets too thick in here)

In addition, it looks as if the width of the mortise is not simply the
diameter of the bit; the router follows one fence, then moves over a
tad to follow the other fence in the opposite direction. Is that
correct?

Right. Clamp to work, run router around fences. The hard part is getting
the mortice centered; however, it isn't necessary to get the mortice dead
center, you just have to pay attention to how you attach the jig to the
workpiece...be sure that any offset from center is correct for where the
workpiece will be attached.

You shim the fences and stops to control the length and
thickness?

One could. Or, one could make moveable fences.

--

dadiOH