Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default Sketchup, dowels

Greg Guarino wrote:
While I'm still a novice at Sketchup, I fear I have gotten good enough
with it to design things that outstrip my woodworking skills (or my
available woodworking *time*. I've been committing ideas to "paper",
figuratively speaking; enough to take a year for me to translate into
actual wood-and-glue reality.

I'm curious if any of you do something like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...57639547178715

... when you're designing a piece, and if there's any simpler way
other than copying and pasting.

Yes I do it as and yes there is a simpler way. As I explained recently, you
can use "Move" modified with control to make and move as many duplicates as
you desire. You can set the spacing too.
________________

This would be an end table, which is still deep in the "musing" stage,
but I like the general idea. With my tool complement and skill set, I
see a couple of issues. The first is how to fasten the 1x2 "pickets"
at each end to the rails above and below. (together, they make a roman
numeral "III"). I don't have a Domino, and I question whether I would
live long enough to cut mortises and tenons for each one, something
I've never tried.

I'm thinking of using this BeadLock jig,

http://www.rockler.com/3-8-beadlock-basic-starter-kit

... but not in the usual way. (the usual way being to drill 5 holes
that mate with their proprietary tenon stock). I would just drill two
adjacent holes and use dowels. Like this:

In that case, why not just make your own gizmo? Drill two holes in a 2x4
with the spacing desired, add fences to position a workpiece, put on
workpiece, drill through the holes in the 2x4.
_________________

Assuming no one has any objections (ha), how would you glue something
like that? I only ask because it should not be under any stress at
all. Would you: Not use glue at all? Only put glue on the dowels? Or make
sure all the mating surfaces have glue?

Id put glue on the dowels and a bit on the other surfaces but not so much
that it squeezes out.

If you want to use thickened epoxy, you don't need the dowels.
_______________

Is there some other way to join these pieces that's not too
"advanced"? I plan to use pocket screws for some of the other joints, but
these
would show.

You could screw/nail through the bottom rail into the end pieces, wouldn't
show. They would show in the middle rail but that isn't necessarily bad.

You could rout the rails so thay have a tenon, route matching tongues in the
uprights and cut off excess tongue later. Fussy and I wouldn't do it but it
could be done. You could do it vice versa too; i.e., groove in the rails,
tongue on the spindles, fill the empty portions of the groove later (with
wood). I have done that, not all that hard.
________________

That brings me to the next issue. Each "leg" would consist of a 1x3
and a 1x2 joined at a right angle, probably with a slight shadow line. I
assume biscuits would do the trick here, and a biscuit joiner is not
out of the question, but I'm wondering what other options there might be.

Plain glue. That is all you need.. If you just have to have a mechanical
joint too, tongue & groove. Or dowels; T&G is easier but if you wanted to
use through dowels and let them show, that is easy.

--

dadiOH