Posted to uk.d-i-y
AnthonyL AnthonyL is offline

Default OT - Alexandra Bastedo dead at 67

On Wed, 15 Jan 2014 19:26:17 +0000, Nightjar
wrote:

On 15/01/2014 19:05, tim...... wrote:

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 14/01/2014 20:39, tim...... wrote:

"harryagain" wrote in message

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
Growing up in the 60s and 70s I was fascinated by every sci-fi and
fantasy program on the telly back then. Star Trek, Voyage to the
Bottom of the Sea, The Time Tunnel, Kung Fu and also her program The
Champions. Like most shows of that era it was pretty "hammy" in parts
and had none of the special effects that we're so used to now but I
could overlook all that because in my eyes she was one of the most
stunningly gorgeous women ever to grace a tv screen. Even as a kid I
was utterly mesmerised by her beauty.

Funnily enough I rewatched every episode just a few years ago from
torrents available online and even uploaded my own compilation of the
whole series because it wasn't available as a complete set on any one
torrent site. I've long since had to delete the files from my own
hard disk due to lack of space but I'm pleased to see it's still
being seeded by others.

http://tpb.unblocked.co/torrent/5628...ete_all_30_eps

After TV fame she very commendably devoted much of her life to animal
welfare, also one of my own passions, and ran a sanctuary for them in
West Sussex. Before I moved far away to north east Scotland recently
I did occasionally idly contemplate visiting it on the off chance of
being able to meet her but too late now of course.

67 isn't much of an age nowadays either but sadly cancer still
manages to defeat the best of modern medicine.
--
Dave Baker

Very sad. As a teenager I used to lust after her.
Cancer got most of her family too.

It's going to get most people as modern medicine stops us dying of
"other" things

Heart disease, dementia/Alzheimer’s disease, and cerbrovascular
disease are still the three main causes of death in the UK.

This says different:

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/...aths_large.png

(I really have no idea)

And people don't generally die of dementia (unless it causes them to
forget they are on the 2nd floor and they walk out of the window). They
die with dementia, of something else

From the Office of National Statistics:

'Heart disease was the biggest cause of death in 2012, killing over
64,000 people, followed by dementia and Alzheimer’s disease which caused
more than 43,000 deaths, and cerebrovascular diseases which were
responsible for more than 35,000 deaths. In 2012, 80% of men and 88% of
women who died were aged 65 or over. The leading cause of death for men
was heart disease (15.6%) and the leading cause for women was dementia
and Alzheimer’s disease (11.5%).'

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/vsob1/...-of-death.html

Doesn't anyone ever die of old age nowadays? Also a fan of AB in my
teenage years, she replaced Susan Maughan.

--
AnthonyL