Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Alexandra Bastedo dead at 67

Growing up in the 60s and 70s I was fascinated by every sci-fi and fantasy
program on the telly back then. Star Trek, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea,
The Time Tunnel, Kung Fu and also her program The Champions. Like most shows
of that era it was pretty "hammy" in parts and had none of the special
effects that we're so used to now but I could overlook all that because in
my eyes she was one of the most stunningly gorgeous women ever to grace a tv
screen. Even as a kid I was utterly mesmerised by her beauty.

Funnily enough I rewatched every episode just a few years ago from torrents
available online and even uploaded my own compilation of the whole series
because it wasn't available as a complete set on any one torrent site. I've
long since had to delete the files from my own hard disk due to lack of
space but I'm pleased to see it's still being seeded by others.

http://tpb.unblocked.co/torrent/5628...ete_all_30_eps

After TV fame she very commendably devoted much of her life to animal
welfare, also one of my own passions, and ran a sanctuary for them in West
Sussex. Before I moved far away to north east Scotland recently I did
occasionally idly contemplate visiting it on the off chance of being able to
meet her but too late now of course.

67 isn't much of an age nowadays either but sadly cancer still manages to
defeat the best of modern medicine.
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
[...]

Very sad. As a teenager I used to lust after her.
Cancer got most of her family too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 07:45:01 +0000, harryagain wrote:

Very sad. As a teenager I used to lust after her.

+1 !

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 05:45:07 -0000, Dave Baker wrote:

Growing up in the 60s and 70s I was fascinated by every sci-fi and
fantasy program on the telly back then. Star Trek, Voyage to the Bottom
of the Sea, The Time Tunnel, Kung Fu and also her program The Champions.

My era as well but until yesterday had not heard of Alexandra Bastedo
or The Champions. googles ah, one series of 30 episodes Sep '68 to
Apr 69 on ITV, we didn't have ITV...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2014-01-13, Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 07:45:01 +0000, harryagain wrote:

Very sad. As a teenager I used to lust after her.

+1 !

+2

I went to a boys' grammar school in Brighton, and she went to the girls'
one down the road. She left 4 years before me though...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/01/2014 08:48, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 05:45:07 -0000, Dave Baker wrote:

Growing up in the 60s and 70s I was fascinated by every sci-fi and
fantasy program on the telly back then. Star Trek, Voyage to the Bottom
of the Sea, The Time Tunnel, Kung Fu and also her program The Champions.

My era as well but until yesterday had not heard of Alexandra Bastedo
or The Champions. googles ah, one series of 30 episodes Sep '68 to
Apr 69 on ITV, we didn't have ITV...

I don't think you missed much, apart, perhaps, from seeing Alexandra
Bastedo., if she was to your taste. Mine ran more to Ruth Pearson (and
later Cherie Gillespie) of Pan's People and Goldie Hawn on Rowan and
Martin's Laugh In.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 09:37:02 +0000, Nightjar wrote:

On 13/01/2014 08:48, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 05:45:07 -0000, Dave Baker wrote:

Growing up in the 60s and 70s I was fascinated by every sci-fi and
fantasy program on the telly back then. Star Trek, Voyage to the
Bottom of the Sea, The Time Tunnel, Kung Fu and also her program The
Champions.

My era as well but until yesterday had not heard of Alexandra Bastedo
or The Champions. googles ah, one series of 30 episodes Sep '68 to
Apr 69 on ITV, we didn't have ITV...

I don't think you missed much, apart, perhaps, from seeing Alexandra
Bastedo., if she was to your taste. Mine ran more to Ruth Pearson (and
later Cherie Gillespie) of Pan's People and Goldie Hawn on Rowan and
Martin's Laugh In.

Ah now...name dropping again...one of Pan's People (and I forget which
one) lived next door to me when I was a teenager!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/01/2014 10:32, Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

Mary Corpe? One of the later Pan's People, who was born in Brighton.
They are dying off too - Flick Colby in 2011 and Louise Clarke in 2012.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 13/01/2014 08:48, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 05:45:07 -0000, Dave Baker wrote:

Growing up in the 60s and 70s I was fascinated by every sci-fi and
fantasy program on the telly back then. Star Trek, Voyage to the Bottom
of the Sea, The Time Tunnel, Kung Fu and also her program The Champions.

My era as well but until yesterday had not heard of Alexandra Bastedo
or The Champions. googles ah, one series of 30 episodes Sep '68 to
Apr 69 on ITV, we didn't have ITV...

I don't think you missed much, apart, perhaps, from seeing Alexandra
Bastedo., if she was to your taste. Mine ran more to Ruth Pearson (and
later Cherie Gillespie) of Pan's People and Goldie Hawn on Rowan and
Martin's Laugh In.

Perdy - The Avengers?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 12:47:35 +0000, Nightjar wrote:

[...]

That's the name! Thanks...I never got round to looking up all their
surnames, but it was the Corpes who lived next door....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/01/2014 18:45, Mr Pounder wrote:
"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 13/01/2014 08:48, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 05:45:07 -0000, Dave Baker wrote:

Growing up in the 60s and 70s I was fascinated by every sci-fi and
fantasy program on the telly back then. Star Trek, Voyage to the Bottom
of the Sea, The Time Tunnel, Kung Fu and also her program The Champions.

My era as well but until yesterday had not heard of Alexandra Bastedo
or The Champions. googles ah, one series of 30 episodes Sep '68 to
Apr 69 on ITV, we didn't have ITV...

I don't think you missed much, apart, perhaps, from seeing Alexandra
Bastedo., if she was to your taste. Mine ran more to Ruth Pearson (and
later Cherie Gillespie) of Pan's People and Goldie Hawn on Rowan and
Martin's Laugh In.

Perdy - The Avengers?

Purdy, as in the gunmaker. I preferred Emma Peel.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 13/01/2014 08:48, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 05:45:07 -0000, Dave Baker wrote:

Growing up in the 60s and 70s I was fascinated by every sci-fi and
fantasy program on the telly back then. Star Trek, Voyage to the
Bottom
of the Sea, The Time Tunnel, Kung Fu and also her program The
Champions.

My era as well but until yesterday had not heard of Alexandra Bastedo
or The Champions. googles ah, one series of 30 episodes Sep '68 to
Apr 69 on ITV, we didn't have ITV...

I don't think you missed much, apart, perhaps, from seeing Alexandra
Bastedo., if she was to your taste. Mine ran more to Ruth Pearson (and
later Cherie Gillespie) of Pan's People and Goldie Hawn on Rowan and
Martin's Laugh In.

Perdy - The Avengers?

Purdy, as in the gunmaker. I preferred Emma Peel.

Typo.
Purdy was sort of cute, I had a "thing" about her.

I was never keen on Diana Rigg.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar" wrote in message
On 13/01/2014 08:48, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 05:45:07 -0000, Dave Baker wrote:

Growing up in the 60s and 70s I was fascinated by every sci-fi and
fantasy program on the telly back then. Star Trek, Voyage to the
Bottom of the Sea, The Time Tunnel, Kung Fu and also her program The
Champions.

My era as well but until yesterday had not heard of Alexandra Bastedo
or The Champions. googles ah, one series of 30 episodes Sep '68 to
Apr 69 on ITV, we didn't have ITV...

I don't think you missed much, apart, perhaps, from seeing Alexandra
Bastedo., if she was to your taste. Mine ran more to Ruth Pearson (and
later Cherie Gillespie) of Pan's People and Goldie Hawn on Rowan and
Martin's Laugh In.

Perdy - The Avengers?

Purdy, as in the gunmaker. I preferred Emma Peel.

Me too - by far. I did meet Joanna Lumley (very briefly) once, when we
awarded her an honorary degree (she comes from round here in Kent). A
good friend of mine worked at a local theatre back when Joanna was about
to go for her Avengers audition, and told me she had lunch with her the
day before and tried to calm her nerves!

Incidentally, there was a good one on Only Connect recently - you had to
get the fourth picture in the sequence:

1) A Vettriano picture of people in a strong wind
2) A curl of orange peel
3) A chess set with the king out in front

Of course, the fourth was a gun. I got that one after two.

(my best ever was seeing "0=black" and immediately saying "3=orange"...)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 22:49:30 +0000, Vir Campestris wrote:

Ah Pan's people. Lovely Babs... can't remember her name.

Look on Wikipedia...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2014 00:23, Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 22:49:30 +0000, Vir Campestris wrote:

Ah Pan's people. Lovely Babs... can't remember her name.

Look on Wikipedia...

Look at Porridge.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Nightjar" wrote in message
[...]

If you are old enough to have fancied Purdy, it is more likely the start
of senility setting in :-)

Purdy was sort of cute, I had a "thing" about her.
I was never keen on Diana Rigg.

I generally find brunettes more attractive than blondes.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar scribbled...

I generally find brunettes more attractive than blondes.

There used to be a good mixture of both in Space 1999. Every week a
different 'maiden' to be saved - always wearing a mini-skirt. Ah, bums
& legs throughout.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Artic" wrote in message
ldhosting.com...
Nightjar scribbled...

I generally find brunettes more attractive than blondes.

There used to be a good mixture of both in Space 1999. Every week a
different 'maiden' to be saved - always wearing a mini-skirt. Ah, bums
& legs throughout.

Gabrielle Drake in UFO.
--
Dave Baker

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Baker scribbled...

"Artic" wrote in message
ldhosting.com...
Nightjar scribbled...

I generally find brunettes more attractive than blondes.

There used to be a good mixture of both in Space 1999. Every week a
different 'maiden' to be saved - always wearing a mini-skirt. Ah, bums
& legs throughout.

Gabrielle Drake in UFO.

Better in this...

https://gs1.wac.edgecastcdn.net/8019...blr_mbwax4oZt7
1rj28rmo1_1280.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

EVEN better again...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xx8...drake-au-pair-
girls-scene-02_shortfilms

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2014 12:22, Dave Baker wrote:

"Artic" wrote in message
ldhosting.com...
Nightjar scribbled...

I generally find brunettes more attractive than blondes.

There used to be a good mixture of both in Space 1999. Every week a
different 'maiden' to be saved - always wearing a mini-skirt. Ah, bums
& legs throughout.

Gabrielle Drake in UFO.

If the subject is females in sci-fi series, my vote has to go to Servalan.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday 14 January 2014 16:32 Nightjar wrote in uk.d-i-y:

If the subject is females in sci-fi series, my vote has to go to
Servalan.

Colin Bignell

Nope, it has to be Soolin. This:

http://garic-che.narod.ru/Blakes7/Soolin1.jpg

would be worth getting shot in the face by a plasma blaster thingy!

http://www.sensorly.com/ Crowd mapping of 2G/3G/4G mobile signal
coverage

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
news
On Tuesday 14 January 2014 16:32 Nightjar wrote in uk.d-i-y:

If the subject is females in sci-fi series, my vote has to go to
Servalan.

Colin Bignell

Nope, it has to be Soolin. This:

http://garic-che.narod.ru/Blakes7/Soolin1.jpg

would be worth getting shot in the face by a plasma blaster thingy!

She still looks good today.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2014 16:56, Tim Watts wrote:
On Tuesday 14 January 2014 16:32 Nightjar wrote in uk.d-i-y:

If the subject is females in sci-fi series, my vote has to go to
Servalan.

Nope, it has to be Soolin. This:

http://garic-che.narod.ru/Blakes7/Soolin1.jpg

would be worth getting shot in the face by a plasma blaster thingy!

Just another generic blonde IMO, of which there are lots on TV. Servalan
was unique, sexy and had character, even if it was not a particularly
nice character.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday 14 January 2014 18:28 Nightjar wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 14/01/2014 16:56, Tim Watts wrote:
On Tuesday 14 January 2014 16:32 Nightjar wrote in uk.d-i-y:

If the subject is females in sci-fi series, my vote has to go to
Servalan.

Nope, it has to be Soolin. This:

http://garic-che.narod.ru/Blakes7/Soolin1.jpg

would be worth getting shot in the face by a plasma blaster thingy!

Just another generic blonde IMO, of which there are lots on TV.
Servalan was unique, sexy and had character, even if it was not a
particularly nice character.

Colin Bignell

Oooh we are fussy. Bet you wouldn't kick her out of bed ;-

http://www.sensorly.com/ Crowd mapping of 2G/3G/4G mobile signal
coverage

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harryagain" wrote in message

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
[...]

It's going to get most people as modern medicine stops us dying of "other"
things

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
[...]

Heart disease, dementia/Alzheimer’s disease, and cerbrovascular disease
are still the three main causes of death in the UK.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/01/2014 05:45, Dave Baker wrote:
Growing up in the 60s and 70s I was fascinated by every sci-fi and
fantasy program on the telly back then. Star Trek, Voyage to the Bottom

I watched a re-run of the first Gerry & Sylvia Anderson series to use
real people .. "UFO"
Only now did I realise just how wonderful Gabrielle Drake was as Lt. Kay
Ellis ....
Maybe it was the purple hair and bacofoil mini skirts ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/01/2014 18:45, Mr Pounder wrote:

Perdy - The Avengers?

In comparison to Diana Rig ... you jest Sir.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
[...]

This says different:

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/...aths_large.png

(I really have no idea)

And people don't generally die of dementia (unless it causes them to forget
they are on the 2nd floor and they walk out of the window). They die with
dementia, of something else

tim

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2014 19:05, tim...... wrote:

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
[...]

From the Office of National Statistics:

'Heart disease was the biggest cause of death in 2012, killing over
64,000 people, followed by dementia and Alzheimer’s disease which caused
more than 43,000 deaths, and cerebrovascular diseases which were
responsible for more than 35,000 deaths. In 2012, 80% of men and 88% of
women who died were aged 65 or over. The leading cause of death for men
was heart disease (15.6%) and the leading cause for women was dementia
and Alzheimer’s disease (11.5%).'

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/vsob1/...-of-death.html

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2014 19:51, Tim Watts wrote:
On Tuesday 14 January 2014 18:28 Nightjar wrote in uk.d-i-y:

On 14/01/2014 16:56, Tim Watts wrote:
On Tuesday 14 January 2014 16:32 Nightjar wrote in uk.d-i-y:

If the subject is females in sci-fi series, my vote has to go to
Servalan.

Nope, it has to be Soolin. This:

http://garic-che.narod.ru/Blakes7/Soolin1.jpg

would be worth getting shot in the face by a plasma blaster thingy!

Just another generic blonde IMO, of which there are lots on TV.
Servalan was unique, sexy and had character, even if it was not a
particularly nice character.

Colin Bignell

Oooh we are fussy. Bet you wouldn't kick her out of bed ;-

Since I've been on blood pressure reducing medication, the only thing I
have been able to do in bed is sleep :-(

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Jan 2014 18:31:38 +0000, Rick Hughes wrote:

On 13/01/2014 18:45, Mr Pounder wrote:

Perdy - The Avengers?

In comparison to Diana Rig ... you jest Sir.

+1

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

http://tpb.unblocked.co/torrent/5628814/The_Champions_-

_1960s_TV_series_complete_all_30_eps

After TV fame she very commendably devoted much of her life to animal
welfare, also one of my own passions, and ran a sanctuary for them in
West Sussex. Before I moved far away to north east Scotland recently I
did occasionally idly contemplate visiting it on the off chance of being
able to meet her but too late now of course.

67 isn't much of an age nowadays either but sadly cancer still manages
to defeat the best of modern medicine.

Incidentally, she had an obituary in the 'i' yesterday (14th Jan). Fairly
surprised as they only do one each day, and even 'important' people have
to take their turn. Perhaps someone there lusted after her too...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 15 Jan 2014 19:26:17 +0000, Nightjar
wrote:

On 15/01/2014 19:05, tim...... wrote:

"Dave Baker" wrote in message
[...]

From the Office of National Statistics:

'Heart disease was the biggest cause of death in 2012, killing over
64,000 people, followed by dementia and Alzheimer’s disease which caused
more than 43,000 deaths, and cerebrovascular diseases which were
responsible for more than 35,000 deaths. In 2012, 80% of men and 88% of
women who died were aged 65 or over. The leading cause of death for men
was heart disease (15.6%) and the leading cause for women was dementia
and Alzheimer’s disease (11.5%).'

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/vsob1/...-of-death.html

Doesn't anyone ever die of old age nowadays? Also a fan of AB in my
teenage years, she replaced Susan Maughan.

--
AnthonyL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/01/2014 13:39, AnthonyL wrote:
Doesn't anyone ever die of old age nowadays?

Being old is not an inherently fatal condition; It merely increases the
risk of death from a number of causes.

Also a fan of AB in my
teenage years, she replaced Susan Maughan.

As the photos near the bottom of this link show, Susan Maughan has aged
well:

http://stianeriksen.com/tag/susan-maughan/

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 Jan 2014 15:02:21 +0000, Nightjar
wrote:

On 16/01/2014 13:39, AnthonyL wrote:
Doesn't anyone ever die of old age nowadays?

Being old is not an inherently fatal condition; It merely increases the
risk of death from a number of causes.

Also a fan of AB in my
teenage years, she replaced Susan Maughan.

As the photos near the bottom of this link show, Susan Maughan has aged
well:

http://stianeriksen.com/tag/susan-maughan/

Thanks for that. Always knew she was too old for me.

--
AnthonyL