Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Sketchup, dowels

On 1/15/2014 7:51 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

To clarify, I risk splitting while I'm drilling the holes? Or when I try
to "force" the piece into alignment with misaligned holes? I'll assume
the latter. I was thinking about the alignment myself. I thought maybe
I'd give it a dry run with the "Beadlock" jig to see if I could get it
accurate enough.

Yes, when pressing the parts together. Also be certain that the holes
in the top and bottom rails are directly above/below one another or your
pickets will not stand plumb.

Probably the easiest method would be to use one dowel instead of two on
each end and glue. BUT to keep the post from rotating drill a hole in
the bottom of the bottom rail under each post and run a screw up inside
and into the bottom of each post.

Clever. I could recess the screw in the bottom rail and it would never
be seen. And I'd have half as many (precision) holes to drill.

Exactly

Is there some other way to join these pieces that's not too "advanced"?
I plan to use pocket screws for some of the other joints, but these
would show.

Biscuits,

I was considering buying a biscuit joiner to attach the "leg" pieces
together. I have no experience with biscuits, but from what I've seen on
TV (you can all snicker now), it doesn't look like you could fit a
biscuit into the end of a 1x2. Can you?

Yes, if you buy the PC557 with the FF blade and use FF biscuits. Those
are pretty small.

still Dominoe's would be the easiest. With Dominoe's you can
elongate one of the mortises to help with alignment should your cuts not
be dead on.

Looks like a great system, but a little pricey for an occasional dabbler
like myself.

That is true.

That brings me to the next issue. Each "leg" would consist of a 1x3 and
a 1x2 joined at a right angle, probably with a slight shadow line. I
assume biscuits would do the trick here, and a biscuit joiner is not

out
of the question, but I'm wondering what other options there might be.

I would cut a rabbet along the mating surface of the 1x3 to hlep with
alignment and just glue it.

that is what I did here to join the front and back face frames to the
side panels.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11888682455/

If you look closely you cansee how that came together here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...0753/lightbox/

Interesting. That would slim down the (visible) edge of the 2x3, but it
is a technique that is within my skill set. I may draw it out that way
and see what I think of it. Thanks.

You can make the rabbet relative shallow, 1/8" and you porbably would
only be able to tell by measuring. All you need is that shallow ledge
to keep the mating 1x2 piece from sliding across the face of the 1x3.

I will remind you that I don't have a table saw, and that my skills

are,
um, "developing".

None of my suggestions require a TS.

Thanks.