Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Sketchup, dowels

On 1/15/2014 2:23 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:
While I'm still a novice at Sketchup, I fear I have gotten good enough
with it to design things that outstrip my woodworking skills (or my
available woodworking *time*. I've been committing ideas to "paper",
figuratively speaking; enough to take a year for me to translate into
actual wood-and-glue reality.

I'm curious if any of you do something like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...57639547178715

... when you're designing a piece, and if there's any simpler way other
than copying and pasting.

This would be an end table, which is still deep in the "musing" stage,
but I like the general idea. With my tool complement and skill set, I
see a couple of issues. The first is how to fasten the 1x2 "pickets" at
each end to the rails above and below. (together, they make a roman
numeral "III"). I don't have a Domino, and I question whether I would
live long enough to cut mortises and tenons for each one, something I've
never tried.

I'm thinking of using this BeadLock jig,

http://www.rockler.com/3-8-beadlock-basic-starter-kit

... but not in the usual way. (the usual way being to drill 5 holes that
mate with their proprietary tenon stock). I would just drill two
adjacent holes and use dowels. Like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gdguari...7639547178715/

Ok, first off, did you see the detailed answers that were given to your
earlier Sketchup questions that you posted about a week ago? Did they
help? Did you appreciate the responses? ;~) Want more questions answered?

Assuming no one has any objections (ha), how would you glue something
like that? I only ask because it should not be under any stress at all.
Would you: Not use glue at all? Only put glue on the dowels? Or make
sure all the mating surfaces have glue?

Reading Scott's response, and to clarify, you have no table saw, is that
correct? Assuming so,

Using more than one dowel on the end of each post requires the placement
to be dead nuts on or you risk splitting the ends of the stiles.
Probably the easiest method would be to use one dowel instead of two on
each end and glue. BUT to keep the post from rotating drill a hole in
the bottom of the bottom rail under each post and run a screw up inside
and into the bottom of each post.

Is there some other way to join these pieces that's not too "advanced"?
I plan to use pocket screws for some of the other joints, but these
would show.

Biscuits, still Dominoe's would be the easiest. With Dominoe's you can
elongate one of the mortises to help with alignment should your cuts not
be dead on.

That brings me to the next issue. Each "leg" would consist of a 1x3 and
a 1x2 joined at a right angle, probably with a slight shadow line. I
assume biscuits would do the trick here, and a biscuit joiner is not out
of the question, but I'm wondering what other options there might be.

I would cut a rabbet along the mating surface of the 1x3 to hlep with
alignment and just glue it.

that is what I did here to join the front and back face frames to the
side panels.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/11888682455/

If you look closely you cansee how that came together here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb1121...0753/lightbox/

I will remind you that I don't have a table saw, and that my skills are,
um, "developing".

None of my suggestions require a TS.

---
protection is active.