Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Uni-t-fence

On 1/15/2014 9:34 AM, woodchucker wrote:
On 1/15/2014 7:14 AM, Doug Miller wrote:
Swingman wrote in news:1918116651411466633.755997kac-
:

Bill wrote:

I know there are a lot of Forrest WW-II fans, but the reviews were not
very overwhelming, so it's sort of a tough call (but you can see
which way I'm leaning).

It is a no brainer call.

Buying a Forrest WW-II is not something you will ever regret. If
there was
a better 'bang for the buck' blade out there trust me, I'd own it.

There is.

http://ridgecarbidetool.com/saws-and...10-ts2000.html

The cut quality is every bit as good as the Forrest WWII at about 80%
of the price. I bought
one of these at the Woodworking Show about four years ago, and was
very impressed. I'll
never go back to Forrest blades -- especially after having had an
absolutely miserable
experience with their service. IMO Forrest is overrated, with respect
to the quality of both
their products and their service.

I have had the opposite experience with Forrest. Excellent service.
I also had good service from RC, they had to regrind my Dado set because
the sizes were so far off. a 1/4 dado was 3/32 over. The points were so
much higher than the flat area. When they ground it down, they had to
grind the metal plate to get the sizes close.. Not what I would expect.

Forrest was great about everything. I went to their shop, just to check
them out.. This is old world methodologies here, most everything is hand
checked to the max. There are machines, but people are the key. These
are machinists.. And they do good work.

WWII does not dull easily, it's C4 and I had used mine for years before
needing a sharpening.

Must be nice living that close to Forrest.

I once sent my Forrest to the sharpening service that I had used back in
the 80's and most of the 90's, A couple weeks later I sent it out again
to Forrest to be brought back to factory specs. Sooooo I was with out
for a couple of weeks more waiting on the trip to and from NJ.

Since I have gotten another Forrest to swap out while one goes out for
its Spa treatment. ;~)

Got still another Forrest, thank you Swingman, when we teamed up on a
job together 3 years ago.

When I send the blades to Forrest I add the note to bring back to
Factory Spec's. If the estimate will be more than $40 call for
authorization.